Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I've seen people say that the FSB is 75MHz as well, but it's not true. The FSB in every B&W I've seen has been set to 100 MHz.

As for the controller, it's kind of hit and miss. I had problems with a Seagate 7200rpm 30 GB drive, so it went into a PC then into a PowerMac 6500 without problems.

I now have a Maxtor ATA100 60GB drive in my B&W (in addition to the stock 6GB IDE and various SCSI devices). I've never had any problems, tests fine for as long as I care to test it. The IDE controller problems seem to be more related to the chip set on the drive than to speed or drive capacity.

It is a hit and miss kind of deal, for most people I would recommend getting a PCI IDE controller. Much less chance of problems.

Nevertheless, the Rev. A's are great machines. My Rev. A is just about the most dependable computer in my fleet of 100's...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
IS the only issue with the blue G3 the IDE controller?
I read somewhere that some rev A have a 75 mhz instead of 100 mhz bus speed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never heard anyone say that. I know mine definitely had a 100 Mhz bus.

As for the maximum HD size, isn't it around 120-130GB as you need an ATA-133 controller for anything above that? I've heard alot of people installing 160GB HDs in certain Macs and only being able to access 120 or 130GB of storage. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've also had success with a Maxtor drive, 40GB, 7200 RPM, where other brands failed in the Rev.A. It'd be interesting to poll the other Rev.A owners to find out if other Maxtor drives work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts