Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coalition of retailers including Future Shop, Radio Shack and the Retail Council of Canada is banding together to fight a new levy on digital recording equipment.

The proposed changes are set to be imposed in January on blank CDs and audio cassettes as well as MP3 players.

The retailers say it will raise the cost so high that consumers might turn to the black market to buy the equipment.

The levy will be applied to everything from blank discs and audio cassettes to the memory in MP3 players.

For example, the proposed changes would see the cost of an iPod MP3 player rise by at least $100.

Future Shop CEO Kevin Layden says that will hurt both consumers and businesses. "Well, it's going to do two things. If consumers buy in Canada, you're going to pay more. Number two is if you buy in the U.S., you're going to hurt Canadian businesses."

Layden says all this equipment is readily available in the United States and most of it is available over the Internet. He says most consumers will turn to the black market.

The president of the Retail Council of Canada, Diane Brisebois, agrees. "There is no question, we believe it would happen. Also there are certain products which would just not be introduced in Canada."

The levy is supposed to compensate composers, performers and producers. The Canadian Private Copying Collective has taken in more than $28 million so far. It expects to collect levies in excess of $100 million next year.

So...what do you think?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm appalled by the proposed levies. It will hurt my business as I burn files I create for clients on CD and I require a lot of hard drive space for client files. I will be forced to raise costs in order to off set these proposed levies. Why should my clients pay levies on something they've had done which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RECORDING INDUSTRY?

This will also hurt my students who burn all of their projects on CD. It is unfair and punitive to those who legitimately use these products for business and archival of privately create files. It's like charging everyone who purchases grow lights of cultivating marijauna or everyone who drives a car of speeding. Sure, some do, but not everyone.

In the spring I tried repeatedly to speak with my MPP about this topic, but he would not see me about it. Frustrating.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
man... I heard about this. This does sucks (iPods.. MDs... I might have to pull that trigger fast), but to be expected. This is what happens when we are one of the world leaders in Broadband consumption, compounded by the fact that Canada was a CHIEF abuser of Napster (RIP). This artists friend of mine was on tour earlier this year, and was doing an autograph signing @ a music retailer. A few kids came with CDRs (!?!?!). He as floored - and didn't know how to react... Not sure what I would do either. Like being a writer and having a fan come by with a photocopied copy of the book to get signed... Wasn't there a similar push for a fund for copyrights re: photocopied literature as well??? I do recall that during University days.. (daze).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
These kinds of levies will only stop when the air head voters of eastern Canada stop electing Liberal governments. Witness the gun control billion dollar boondoggle. Until then, grin and bear it. I can assure you I had nothing to do with electing the Grits.

Sinc

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hey! I live in Toronto, and have NEVER voted liberal or NDP. Not that I would support the racist Alliance that wants us to join the US...

Technology is changing and Sony etc. have to adapt to new ways. Just think if the govenment tried to tax rubber tires and glass windshield when the "horseless carriage" was invented because it was hurting those that made wagons and leather harnesses.

BTW, I own a few rifles, so I agree with your statement on CFC and the registration process. Not only that, but the F***ing CFC does not process applications from the Mac correctly. There is an "issue with Java".

As for the statement that an MP was unresponsive, try e-mailing Joe Clark. I have the d**khead Alan Rock as my MP and can't be bothered contacting him for anything.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Smuggle?? The risk is for yours to take. Have you heard the recent case of the guy who went to get some gas? Oh boy... read this . Nonetheless, it does suck that we may have to go thru this. Man, I could not imagine having to pay more than what it is right now for a Sony Mem Stick!

Q? Will that include HDs? This could suck for real...

As for the recording industry, I'm not sure they're to blame. Should people steal everytime they have an op to do so?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
The lobbyist win.. I wonder how much they had to pay the minister for this? Every Liberal Cabinet member seems to have a price these days.. I wonder if she got a free iPod out of it?

I wish the Recording industry would find a better means at protecting their materials.

I guess it's time for me to head to the US in Janauary to smuggle some of the "good" stuff.. cold hard Silicon... CDRs...or maybe CDRW would be useful now that there is a levy..in January of course...

Cheers,

RtC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Ohenri wrote:
"As for the recording industry, I'm not sure they're to blame. Should people steal everytime they have an op to do so?"

People shouldn't steal, no, but why should I be "presumed guilty" and pay a tariff for an illegal activity that I may or may not be engaged in? Just because I want to buy a 10GB iPod doesn't mean that I'm looking for a place to stash 10GB of illegally obtained MP3s. Maybe, just maybe, I'd rather carry around one 10GB iPod than a hundred CDs.

As far as I'm concerned this is just a cash-grab by an industry that would rather make a buck than treat its artists and consumers like people.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sinc wrote:
"These kinds of levies will only stop when the air head voters of eastern Canada stop electing Liberal governments. Witness the gun control billion dollar boondoggle. Until then, grin and bear it. I can assure you I had nothing to do with electing the Grits."

Far better to elect a party lead by homophobe, who likes to come up with his own science?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I think it's a bad idea... it will hurt sales of MP3 players, etc.

It probably won't go through if companies band against it... they have the money to fight it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The National Post in March had an excellent article which I kept stating some of the levies. Blank CDs will have an additional 59 cents added, blank DVD with have an additional $2.27 added to the cost. That might not sound like much to the average consumer, but when you go through several hundred CDs a year for work, the cost does add up.

What really concerns me is the $21.00 per gigabyte levy on hard drives. I've got over 200GB of storage for working on files. The levies alone on that amount of storage space would be in excess of $4000.00!

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kosh:
I think it's a bad idea... it will hurt sales of MP3 players, etc.

It probably won't go through if companies band against it... they have the money to fight it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. They tried this a few years ago. There already is a tariff on blank CDs. The recording industry wanted a few dollars per CD. They got only a few cents. Again, I believe they'll get a few cents added to MP3 players and flsh cards. However, we still are being punished for stealing music even though we don't do it.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Not to make too fine a point on it, but the original levies (at the time, on cassette tapes) were introduced around 1978. Since then we've had a fair number of governments of different stripes, and they all supported the levies, which have been adjusted about every 2 years since.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
And remember, downloading music is legal in the country.

Truely though, the levies would not be so terribly bad if the money was actualyl being distributed.

See Here:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From LondonDrugs.com
A law passed by the Federal Government in 1997 allows the money to be collected by the recording industry. It's supposed to compensate artists and copyright holders for private copying. To date, none of the money has been distributed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.

(It should be noted that I am employed by LD.)

What pisses me off is that when I buy a 50 pack of CDs maybe five of those will be burned with music. And most of it is music that I have actually purchased as well!

But that aside, I am more miffed about levies being attached to products that 1) are primarily used for purposes other than music or 2) not used my consumers for music at all!

When was the last time you burned an Audio DVD?

Here is hoping the CCFDA might actually make a difference and stop the increases or maybe even get them overturned all together.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... keep it as it is ..."
You mean aside from the fact that the music creator's agents love it (SOCAN) and that no nation or regulator has been able to prevent music copying anywhere for the last 50 years? It's not going anywhere, no matter how much the stores complain.
Levies on media are collected in 26 nations worldwide; basically everybody with a "First World" economy except the US.
It was unfortunate that SOCAN was able to succeed with their new levy on digital memory, DVD-R and hard drive capacity (the others already existed).
I wonder where these stores where when the levy was being revised (by law, it must be, and must consider all submitted objections, every two years).
Radio Shack, Future Shop or the Retail Council of Canada is not listed amongst those who objected to the levy when comments were asked for. Nor did Apple Canada. Perhaps they should have, instead of crying over spilt milk now, when it's too late. This is exactly what is meant by "You get the government you deserve."

The list of objectors contains 34 organisations and less than 50 indiviuals. Next time (spring 2004) it would be nice if a few people bother to object.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The list of objectors contains 34 organisations and less than 50 indiviuals. Next time (spring 2004) it would be nice if a few people bother to object.

gordguide, could you post any info about where people could complain. Next time this is reviewed, I definitely want to voice my complaint, and from what I can tell, every graphics and printing house I deal with want to complain too.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
He did last time (I was one of the 50 individuals thanks to his post, that is of course unless I got one line of the ettiquette of submitting the complaint wrong and they didn't threw it out.

As I recall, when you do get your chance to submit a complaint you can only argue the changes, not the exsisting levies. in otherwords, at the very best next time we will be stuck with the DVD, HardDrive and everything else levies no matter what.

--PB

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well folks, I was on the phone Friday afternoon to my MPP's office again enquiring into these levies. This time, after spending a half our on the phone explain how these punitive measures will hurt the printing industry, and that they're initial arguement of "a few bad apples who steal music have forced levies to be imposed" wasn't acceptable, they did advise me the current proposal would be reviewed in January, although they couldn't tell me if there would be a local meeting, a meeting in Toronto, or a meeting in Ottawa. I was also told that they would further investigate and they would have information Tuesday. Lastly, they told me that I should advise other, like mind individuals, businesses, and organizations to contact their MP's by fax, letter and email to express their concerns regarding this issue, so it can be taken to the Minister of Industry.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts