Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ifoAppleStore.com is reporting that they have received tips that Apple will be opening yet another Apple Store in Canada, this time in Halifax at the Halifax Shopping Centre in Nova Scotia.

The Store would be the eastern most location for an Apple Store in North America. Like so many previous Apple Stores that have opened in Canada recently, the mall they are moving into has been recently renovated and upgraded to attract higher-end retailers.

Apple has been entering the Canadian market in full-force, currently with 22 stores across Canada. The store openings tend to garner lots of excitement from local Mac and iPhone enthusiasts with lineups for store openings usually being in the hundreds. ehMac.ca was at the Apple Store opening in Waterloo, Ontario this past summer to video one such store opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTUoiTZVzw

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Wahoo! Definitely going to attend the opening if at all possible!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
One of the comments in that post seems to imply that a second Ottawa store is in the works. That would come as news to me. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice. Not only would it be the most easterly Apple store, it would be the only Apple store east of Quebec. Those other 4 provinces in Canada apparently don't matter very much...

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Well to be fair it's surprising that Apple is even coming to Halifax given its population. And NB, NL, and PEI are even smaller...

I'm willing to bet they will get stores eventually though...

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The story is pretty dubious. If you actually READ the ifoAppleStore article, you'll note that THEY don't say any such thing is happening, they say a different site and the local paper say it MIGHT be happening. Given the population count, I'm calling wishful thinking.
I'm calling it extremely likely to happen. Halifax has 2x the population of Waterloo, Ontario where a store just opened. Considering Apple doesn't have a single store in the east, densely populated Nova Scotia with about a million people makes perfect sense.

The report gives very specifics of not only which mall but the exact location in the mall. Pretty much all similar previous reports have turned out to be true. I'd put money on the store coming.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I work in the Halifax Shopping Centre, and I heard this rumor the other day. They are currently creating a huge store where it use to be just a ceiling. Makes perfect sense for apple to open a store here. They have a call center in PEI, so why not open a store in the Maritimes.

I think this is a great move for Apple, but the Halifax Mac Store would probably tell you something else. (AKA they will probably lose a lot of business)

BTW, I am extremely excited for this.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Just a pic I snapped the other day.

The escalators are almost dismantled and temporary stairs are in place but not opened just down from here.

If they are building a mezzanine, it will be a HUGE project. As you can see there is just empty space above the escalators / foyer.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a pic I snapped the other day.

The escalators are almost dismantled and temporary stairs are in place but not opened just down from here.

If they are building a mezzanine, it will be a HUGE project. As you can see there is just empty space above the escalators / foyer.
That's the space! If that whole top level section is for Apple they will be paying a lot in rent (no doubt they can afford it) LOL

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the space! If that whole top level section is for Apple they will be paying a lot in rent (no doubt they can afford it) LOL
Hey Bowserm, welcome to ehMac and thanks for posting! :)

Hope you and okcomputer will continue to keep us up-to-date and post pics of the progress and off the grand opening as well. Assuming of course, this really is an Apple Store. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Bowserm, welcome to ehMac and thanks for posting! :)

Hope you and okcomputer will continue to keep us up-to-date and post pics of the progress and off the grand opening as well. Assuming of course, this really is an Apple Store. ;)
Pleasure to be here. I have been here before reading random posts. It's good to have a Canadian site that everyone can relate to.

I figured it was time to signup though to give my thoughts on this Apple Store. I will keep everyone updated on what is going on. I have some contacts with the security people in the mall, so hopefully they will cough up some info for me. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
The outer doors of the main foyer (immediately behind the photographer's POV in the picture posted above) have been removed, suggesting to me that the entire front entrance of the mall is going to be redeveloped as part of this project. There's also been a lot of heavy equipment (including a backhoe) parked outside the building right next to the main foyer.

It looks as though the two-storey gallery's current ceiling is being prepped for removal, and a portion of the floor has been removed near the entrance to Sears (to the left in the picture above). There's quite a bit of scaffolding going up in the entire area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was speaking with the head of security this morning, and he told me that no one has mentioned anything official to him. He said he heard the same rumors that we all have, as well as a rumor of a Victoria Secret moving in.... I can see it now..

Going in to pickup a new iPad, and getting a nice view of sexy lingerie at the same time. I will keep everyone updated as I hear more.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
There is also talk of a Forever 21 store. I have no idea what is sold there. My guess would be realty that you have to keep forever.

I'm very excited at the possibility of an Apple store, but I do have to say that the location in the mall and the mall itself seem to be odd choices. Yes, the mall is crazy busy, but I think Mic Mac Mall does better numbers, and is more accessible to a greater number of people, as it is basically on the way into Halifax, or not far out of the way, from everywhere in NS and beyond except if you are coming from the South Shore.

The location in the mall is odd, too, as this is considering the "back" of the mall. The vast majority of customers enter from either level on the other side, though this entrance is closer to the bus stops. Then again, if Apple moves in, it will most likely change the flow of customers and also how people view the mall. That end will become a hot ticket. Haha.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The rumours are certainly taking hold; we're getting a lot of questions about Lion certification courses as everyone wants to work at the Genius bar.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts