Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My trusty Macbook Pro's battery is completely pooched. If I disconnect the charger, the machine shuts off. The battery says 'Replace Now' (which doesn't leave much room for interpretation lol). I see iFixit has a replacement + tools for about $115.00 CAN. Amazon of course has cheaper options.

Any brand advice or general insight into this DIY project?

TIA

·
Administrator
231 Posts
Hey all,

My trusty Macbook Pro's battery is completely pooched. If I disconnect the charger, the machine shuts off. The battery says 'Replace Now' (which doesn't leave much room for interpretation lol). I see iFixit has a replacement + tools for about $115.00 CAN. Amazon of course has cheaper options.

Any brand advice or general insight into this DIY project?

TIA
Does your MacBook qualify for the free battery replacement?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was in the same position as you a couple of months ago and tried to buy a replacement battery from OWC. Due to some strange rule, they can not ship a battery across the border. Next, I tried IFIXIT Canada and purchased a battery for a total of $143.79 CAD including taxes and shipping. The kit contained the necessary screwdrivers, chemicals and prying tools to complete the job. It was a relatively simple job to replace the battery but I'd recommend you watch the OWC video pertinent to your laptop. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in the same position as you a couple of months ago and tried to buy a replacement battery from OWC. Due to some strange rule, they can not ship a battery across the border. Next, I tried IFIXIT Canada and purchased a battery for a total of $143.79 CAD including taxes and shipping. The kit contained the necessary screwdrivers, chemicals and prying tools to complete the job. It was a relatively simple job to replace the battery but I'd recommend you watch the OWC video pertinent to your laptop. Good luck!
Thanks 18m2 and Vader101. The iFixit option was looking like the way to go, but I got a similar quote from an iRepair up the street from me, so I think I'll go that route. In/out in 1/2 hour for $120 + HST. A bit cheaper than iFixit and no hassle.

·
Administrator
231 Posts
Thanks 18m2 and Vader101. The iFixit option was looking like the way to go, but I got a similar quote from an iRepair up the street from me, so I think I'll go that route. In/out in 1/2 hour for $120 + HST. A bit cheaper than iFixit and no hassle.
Watch these repair places. I have heard from friends that have issues with the repair jobs done at these places. I myself have had a couple bad experiences at these repair places with repairing iPhones. Hopefully you have a better experience. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
31,031 Posts
OWC provides kits and they are available in Canada however it's not for the faint of heart for Retinas- the risk with local shops is the battery quality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Watch these repair places. I have heard from friends that have issues with the repair jobs done at these places. I myself have had a couple bad experiences at these repair places with repairing iPhones. Hopefully you have a better experience. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
This one gets good reviews on Yelp etc and has been there a while. I'll also try a certified Mac shop for price comparison. I'm guessing they're more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OWC provides kits and they are available in Canada however it's not for the faint of heart for Retinas- the risk with local shops is the battery quality.
Not a Retina, so I'm good there. Looks like a fairly straightforward swap from the iFixit video. As far as battery quality, what's a good non oem brand? Many for sale on Amazon for half the price of the install. I'm also putting this battery into a 10 year old laptop...

·
Premium Member
31,031 Posts
Okay then easy ...just order an OWC kit for it. Has all you need.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've been a long time OWC customer and have had great service from them. When I tried to order a replacement laptop battery from OWC they told me at check out time they were prevented from shipping laptop batteries to Canada. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ah, battery issues. Moi, aussi at present. 2015 MBP battery swollen, popped the back plate just one year after Apple replaced it for the same issue. My local guy, Dr Macbook, replaced the batt with a NewerTech battery & taught me how to calibrate the battery for long(er) life.

Worked fine for maybe a year. But I’m one of those doofuses who leaves his MBP on charge all the time.

Fast forward to today. My Mac charging cord was frayed & repaired with electrical tape but still charging. Dr Macbook replaced the cable. Third-party Magsafe was much weaker than Apple original.

After some days, the charging light went out but looked like it was still charging. Then I noticed the dreaded “Service battery” warning. Never seen it before. It’s under the battery in the Menubar. Really, should pop right up.

The point of this long story is, beware of third-party fixits. Maybe the NewerTech battery gave out. Maybe the third-party charging cord killed it. Arrggh!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ended up getting it replaced at a local (and highly recommended) repair place. $120.00 + tax for OEM (Simplo). 1/2 hour wait and so far, so good.
Interesting about the charger. I had an aftermarket charger kicking around that I used in my office when I needed the laptop there. It had degraded to the point where it gave enough charge to stop the battery from draining, but not enough to actually charge it. I wonder if this hastened the demise of my battery...?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had to look up OEM Simplo. They make these sound like an original Apple-supplied battery. Really? Although my MBP is a little newer, the only batts I can find are from third-parties. If I have to replace it, this gives me no choice.

Both batt & charger are from the same shop but I don't expect miracles. Not sure if I should keep running the batt (with original Apple charger) or get it replaced pre-emptively. If the batt expands, it's a much bigger repair.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Update: My 2015 MBP batt is a Simplo sold (mfged?) by NewerTech. After some refurbed charger issues, I noticed that there's a message to 'service battery' under the Menubar battery icon.

I think this is coincidental. My Mac tech here tells me Apple puts up these warnings way too soon. That is, Apple wants to sell you a new battery. However, that's wanted these days as Apple no longer supplies batts for 2015s.

They just want to sell us new Macs!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts