Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

One of the PomerMac G5s at my work has a bad SuperDrive in it that they want to replace. I know they Apple used standard IDE drives, but am curious as to the best one to buy... as in: what is most compatible with Apple's software? (mainly DVD Studio Pro, but also iLife)

There are so many brands & models out there, it can be rather confusing... I should probably stick with Sony, Panasonic or Philips, as those are the brands I've seen in Macs before, but what about models?

Yikes! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
replacement superdrive

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC
I've bought many items from Otherworld Computing over the years with no problems. They've been great!
From the popup menu, choose My OWC, then select your G5 Model. This will give you items that are compatible with your particular mac: memory, hard drives, video cards, processor upgrades and optical drives and more. The prices are good especially now with the high CDN dollar.
good luck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, thanks dyrnwyn!

The shipping costs can't be worth it from the US (for a $35 drive), but that MyOWC feature is sweet! I'll probably just buy one of those models at a local store.

Thanks again for pointing out that feature though.

·
Registered
673 Posts
PowerMac G5 superdrives

I just upgraded my dual G5 PM to a DL superdrive.
Pioneer is the std brand - xlr8yourmac (link posted above) has good compatibility information, so does the OWC site.

I found in the GTA, Infonec has the lowest price on the Pioneer drives:
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPU’s and much more : PIONEER DVR-115D 20x BLACK CD DVD±RW Dual Layer Writer
TigerDirect is ok and may be more convenient:
Pioneer DVR-112D OEM DVD Burner - 18x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 10x DVD±R DL, 40x32x CD-RRW, Beige, Software in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.