Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my 30G hard drive on my G4 12" iBook with a 160G Seagate drive. Put the original drive in a Macally firewire/USB external enclosure (lucky that works...I'm working off it as we speak). But...when I try to load the start up disk for OS X...the drive no longer draws in cd's. Thought maybe I could drag/drop the system folder over from the old HD (which shows on my desktop) to the new one (which also shows on the desktop). But starting up without the old drive connected (via firewire) doesn't work (I got the flashing question mark & also, at some point, the prompt "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"). Hit the "initialize" button...but that didn't resolve much.

I did notice that the new disk wasn't initialized (but the drive's not accepting the startup disk so...). I may have managed to initialize it via stuff I did using diskwarrior & diskdoctor on the old drive (just selected the new drive while operating off the old one). For what it's worth, the system profiler does recognize the new drive (the old one as well). In hindsite, I guess I should have "initialized" this darn new drive before the switch over...I just didn't forsee this problem at that time.

I'm hooped (for now). Anyone have any suggestions? An easy solution would be nice (changing over the hard drive made for a challenging-enough day:( ...).
:confused:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
You CANNOT drag-and-drop Mac OS X systems - too many invisible files and folders won't make the trip, and the drive will be non-bootable, or will otherwise cause other problems. All new hard drives come unformatted - you have to format them in order to use them. Open Disk Utility, select the new 160GB drive, and format it. It should then appear on your desktop as a blank partition.

You should have paid labor to have the drive professionally installed...

Back on topic, did the optical drive work before your install? If yes, you botched the install and need to go back in there to see what you forgot to plug back in (or something similar).

The only other way out of this mess - without a working optical drive - is to have another Mac with FireWire to connect the iBook to. That way you could restore the system from your old HD to the iBook's new HD via the 'Restore' feature in Apple's Disk Utility - that would result in a bootable drive in the iBook with all your original data intact along with it.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Before touching the innards of any Mac I create a bootable backup on an external firewire disk with SuperDuper. You don't need to pay the licence for basic operation.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
You should have paid labor to have the drive professionally installed...
Kudos to Mac users capable of installing a hard drive in a G4 iBook.

And I'd say "welcome" on your first post, but you've been here since 2005. Well, welcome anyways.

As for Lars, he's the "professionaly" "paid labour" he wants you (or somebody) to hire. He may have a point, but lots of people (so I hear) are both really good with a screwdriver, and at not touching the wrong parts during an install. And getting under the edges to get those iBook plastic tabs on the shell.

The first thing you have to do is re-install your system, either from an install disk or by booting from the external and using something like SuperDuper, as suggested above, to copy the entire drive back. If you re-install from an installation disk, you'll be prompted to hook up your old system to import everything. Use FireWire for all connections in this case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments ("However's" in particular). I already knew that I couldn't just drop the OS into their (but I didn't forsee having issues with the optical drive). Still not sure why that drive quit working, replacing the hard drive doesn't touch that drive. I'm still puzzled as to why the switch caused it to quit working). I'm even wondering if it's possible that the OS "operates" that drive & that's why it's quit functioning (my original drive & OS is what's enabling me to use the ibook via firewire...but it can't help make the optical drive "operate"?). Really don't care why anymore, just want to finish the job.

Saying now that one should format the new drive before the switch is hindsight was, how should I put it...it was obviously true, but not very helpful to find out after the switch-over! Nothing I'd read emphasized that point, but, yes, I quickly figured out how important that little step was when I was done. So anyone researching into changing over drives, ya, format the darn thing before you switch 'em over. If I'm guessing correctly, if I'd simply formatted this new drive then this installation would be a done deal. It wasn't that scary an operation, though I admit I'll try to avoid doing it again (I know I didn't fail to re-connect anything...so that's not the problem...and everything is working except for the optical drive). I just need to figure out a way to format this new drive (I'll try that disk utility thing again, & if that fails see if I can find someone in town with a Mac so I can just use their disk utility to format the thing). I'll know soon if this works or not.

Never posting doesn't mean I don't love the site. I do. I just never had need to post (it's a Mac). I've learned a tonne from many posters over the years, I'm just not much of a talker. If anyone has any other ideas for help on this issue, fire away (I'm in Yellowknife...not sure if I'll even FIND another Mac user for a while!).:cool:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Monkeyboy,
You could try to boot your iBook from your external firewire drive then use Disk Utilities to format your internal iBook drive. Once your internal drive is formated then use SuperDuper to make a bootable clone of your FW drive to the internal drive. Should work...

Also, if your ibook internal optical drive is not working it could be that your new hard drive has not the right IDE configuration. The two devices are on the same IDE channel so one must be configured as Master and the second as Slave. Maybe the jumpers on your new drive were not well settled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the idea, GlassOnion (looks like I have some researching to do on this "IDE configuration" stuff. If anyone's interested, I DID get the drive initialized & re-loaded the OS & most of the software I wanted as well (discovered that my external CD writer had 2 firewire ports...so I attached the old drive to one of those, and the other ran to my iBook). Everything seems great, except of course for the optical drive. Nothings shown up as wrong with disk utility or DiskWarrior checks...so it may well be I'm dealing with that IDE master/slave situation (if anyone has any advice on that situation, take a stab at it...I'll see what I can find on the ehMac site).

Now that I have all this disk space, a whole new world's opening up (I'm learning once again). I set up 4 partitions (one for OSX & apple applications, one for music, one for video, one for all the other applications/documents/data). I admit I'm unsure which takes priority over the others in these partitions...I'm thinking of them as "virtual hard drives", but I'm unsure how much/what type of stuff I can put into the main OS partition & how much I can "split off" to the others.

·
Registered
613 Posts
What does your system profiler says about your internal optical drive. Is the drive recognized ? Concerning the Master/Slave setting, the HD is always Master when there's no jumper on it (BTW you cannot connect it inside the iBook if the drive has a jumper on the pins) but some optical drive have a little switch (rear side) to configure the unit as Master or Slave. Did you take off the optical drive when you took the ibook apart ?

I'm sorry but I think you will have to reopen the ibook and check your cables connections or replace the optical drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...surprise...I thought I'd already checked the system profiler, but apparently not. What does it mean if the optical drive doesn't show up there? Before someone says a cable must've become unconnected...unless it happened accidentally, I never touched the optical drive. If I have to go back under the cover I will, but I'm hoping the profiler absence tells someone something specific.

·
Registered
328 Posts
...but I'm hoping the profiler absence tells someone something specific.
It does, it tells you that either you forgot to plug the optical drive into the logic board, the connection is not plugged in correctly, or something was damaged during the upgrade.

You need to crack it open again and check the connection from the optical drive to the logic board.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Monkeyboy, I'd like to swap out my iBook hard drive for a larger one.
Where'd you get your 160 gig drive and may I ask how much it cost?

Thank you!

·
Registered
613 Posts
It does, it tells you that either you forgot to plug the optical drive into the logic board, the connection is not plugged in correctly, or something was damaged during the upgrade.

You need to crack it open again and check the connection from the optical drive to the logic board.
There's only one connection to the main board that connects the HD and optical drive (on the same IDE bus) so it could not be that end of the cable that's not plugged correctly cause the HD would not work. Here's what I suspect:
1- bad cable connection to the optical drive
or
2- faulty or damaged cable
or
3- faulty optical drive

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Monkeyboy, I'd like to swap out my iBook hard drive for a larger one.
Where'd you get your 160 gig drive and may I ask how much it cost?

Thank you!
I just threw a 160 in my PowerBook. Got it from TigerDirect for $15x. Don't recall exactly. Moved the 80 from my PB to my iBook and the 30 from the iBook to an external case. My iBook was in the shop for a repair so I had them do all the drives. One drive = two upgrades, not bad eh.

As for the system software. I put the new 160 in the external case and did a Carbon Copy Clone of the PB internal to it. Took out the PB internal and put in the 160. Put the old PB drive in the external and did a Carbon Copy of the iBook internal to it. Took out iBook internal and put in the 80. Put the 30 from the iBook in the external case an re-formated. Wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds and was easier/safer than some other options.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again, everyone. Usually I love a mystery, but not in this case. Someone asked about the drive, it's a seagate 5400 (seems to have the same power drain as the original 4800...doesn't seem to run any hotter either, though I admit I didn't find out how to monitor that). I got it from Canada Ram for $160.

Everyone's answers make sense (& it seems someday I'll have to go back in there to ensure the optical cable's tight). I probably won't bother, I can make by hooking up an external dvd drive (if I had one to replace mine before starting it would be worth it...otherwise it might mean taking it apart twice, putting it back together twice). Puzzler to me is the optical drive worked fine pre-hard drive replacement, and I never touched the optical drive. Replacing the hard drive ONLY involved removing/replacing the following: Airport Antenna (and airport's working as always post-operation); Keyboard Cable (working fine); DC in cable (thing's powering up); Trackpad connector (it works...design the sucks); Power cable (working); Speaker cable (sound works); and hard drive cable (and the new hard drive's working & recognized by system profiler). So it seems to me the only logical answer is I must have damaged the optical drive cable that sits on top of the drive (hard to imagine given the MOST I did was possibly a passing glance/touch of a finger...it wasn't subjected to any tugging or pushing that might have crimped connector's, no bending...no attempt was made to disengage it at all).

Electrical surge is a possibility (?), but I was constantly grounding myself to a metal tray I had next to me. It's possible, too, that this could just be another example of the weird effect I sometimes have on electronic devices...I can't wear watches [they stop], I sometimes set off the squelch on my VHF on one side of my body, and anything that transmits (cell phones) basically has "issues" when I l'm around). Way back I used to sometimes boot computers just by touching the keyboards (that stopped, for some reason...better keyboards?). That may well be the missing link here (though I'd have thought SEVERAL things would've quit working if that was the case...all that died this time is the optical drive).

Hey, if you look at it one way...I got what I wanted (a way bigger hard drive). Ya, it looks like it cost me the use of the built-in dvd (which I can make by with using an external one). So I'm forced to chose between the convenience of an internal hard drive vs. the need for an external DVD drive (I'll make that trade...didn't WANT to but...).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the input/thoughts. Someday it sounds like I'll have to go back in & check the optical drive cable (but I'll make by with an external dvd writer 'till then). Still perplexed how that would get damaged, at most I might have touched it with the back of my hand (certainly no pulling or pushing that could have damaged the optical drive cable...I never touched it). Replacing the hard drive required disconnecting/connecting the airport antennae, keyboard cable, D.C. in Cable, trackpad, power cable, speaker cable & hard drive cable...and all of those are back working post upgrade. The Hard drive is recognized by system profiler & doesn't seem to run any hotter than the original (working fine). The optical drive worked fine before this upgrade. Maybe a static electrical shock hit it or something (though I was grounding myself constantly during this "operation").

Someone asked where I got it (Canada Ram for $160). One thing I haven't figured out how to try/confirm is how to ensure the "new" drive is the master (& the non OS partitions + external drive, which is the original hard drive) are slaves. Couldn't figure that out (doubt it impacts on this, but...)

·
Registered
328 Posts
One thing I haven't figured out how to try/confirm is how to ensure the "new" drive is the master (& the non OS partitions + external drive, which is the original hard drive) are slaves. Couldn't figure that out (doubt it impacts on this, but...)
The Master/Slave settings on the drive do not effect you. That is basically for desktops that have two physical drives installed inside the computer. You have one drive installed inside the computer... that is the Master. It does not matter that you have partitions. Partitions are all part of the internal drive. The computer knows that you only have one drive. External drives are external drives. There is no reason to Master/Slave an external drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts