Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone actually opened iChat and had someone appear in their rendezvous list? and has a friendly little chat? i've yet to experience the joys of rendezvous, and would like to.

*sigh*

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
emceepj wrote:
"has anyone actually opened iChat and had someone appear in their rendezvous list? and has a friendly little chat? i've yet to experience the joys of rendezvous, and would like to."

The only place that's happened to me is at my local Mac store, where there were a number of demo machines set up. Rendezvous will only pick up other iChat users if you're both on the same network, so unless there's another Mac user on your network, you're out of luck.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I've never done it with my computer in a public place, but I have demo'ed it many a time at work, showing machines going on and off of lists without configuration.

Of course, if I go out with my laptop, I suppose I could try it out.

--PB

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cafe near my house has wireless internet and is full of ibooks and powerbooks. but, either no one is using jag, or no one has ichat on. my friend works there. i'm gonna make a sign saying "10.2 USERS! TURN ICHAT/RENDEZVOUS ON!" and make him put it up on the wall.

then i can test it out.

Phil

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've tried it with a software base station, and it doesn't seem to want to work properly for me...
Perhaps I'm just cursed or something.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by haiggy:
I've tried it with a software base station, and it doesn't seem to want to work properly for me...
Perhaps I'm just cursed or something.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have the built in Firewall turned on by chance? It doesn't open a port for Rendezvous by default, you have to open it manually, port 598 I think it was.

--PB

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's port 5298, but I can't seem to chat with a user with the same name.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts