Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking online for prices of new and used iBooks. I would like a notebook capable of running OS X 10.2 well.

Looking at the Apple US website I noticed the 600 MHz 12" iBook for US$799 with OS X 10.2. I could not find the same model offered on Apple Canada's website.

I was thinking that the refurbished notebook with 640 MB Ram would still be cheaper than a 700 MHz 12" iBook new in Canada. I would probably have to have the package shipped to someone in the US (that shouldn't be a problem)

Questions:

1. Do you think the iBook 600 with 640 MB would be capable of running OS X well? (Just basic surfing, office applications, development, never any video editing)

2. What would the disadvantages of the refurbished 600 Mhz iBook over a new 700 MHz iBook. (The only differences I noticed were the CPU speed and the video card)

3. Would there be any problem with the warranty with a US purchased iBook in Canada?

4. Any other suggestions or websites to look at regarding starting out in the Mac world?

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have.

A. M. Smedley

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
You must be mistaken: The 600 MHz iBook is no longer for sale in either Apple Canada or the Apple US web store, official site, www.apple.com, or www.apple.ca

1) Yes, with 640 MB of RAM, OS X would be stable and smooth. A 600 MHz G3 running with 640 RAM on Jaguar is very nice -- hech, I'm running OS X 10.2.3 on a 366 MHz G3 with 544 RAM and its performance is very good, IMO.

2) This one is tricky. The 600 MHz iBook does not carry a video card capable of enabled Quartz Extreme, therefore not accerlerting the OpenGL graphics under OS X, while the video card in the 700 MHz iBook can enable Q.E, thereby offering better performance under OS X, plus the ability to drive Mac gamers (3D) better with more ease (as it also has more VRAM).

3. No, warranty is warranty, despite where you buy it from.

4. Yes, InsideMacGames.com, ehMac.com, MacUpgradeZone.com, MacCentral.com, Versiontracker.com, etc. Litterly tons of them, but I just listed some of the better ones. ;) (hence the promoting of my own site!)

And finally, the only other difference is that a used iBook may not carry AppleCare (although you can buy it for it) and used Macs aren't expected to last as long as new ones.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Looking at the Apple US website I noticed the 600 MHz 12" iBook for US$799 with OS X 10.2. I could not find the same model offered on Apple Canada's website.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked out what you said, and no, there are no 600 MHz iBooks starting at US $799 anywhere on the site. They start at 700 MHz for US $999.

What I did notice, is that Apple IS selling 600 MHz G3 iMacs for US $799. Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> You must be mistaken: The 600 MHz iBook is no longer for sale in either Apple Canada or the Apple US web store, official site, www.apple.com, or www.apple.ca <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to the Apple.Com store page. Scroll to the very bottom. On the left there is a small picture that says "Special Deals. Great prices on limited offers. Save."
The next page says: iBook 600MHz/128MB/20GB/CD/Enet/56K/12.1" TFT - Refurbished

This model should have a 16 MB Rage Mobilty Radeon (not 7500). Isn't 16 MB the minimum for Quartz Extreme?

Thanks for your prompt response and links.

A. M. Smedley

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lnical:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> You must be mistaken: The 600 MHz iBook is no longer for sale in either Apple Canada or the Apple US web store, official site, www.apple.com, or www.apple.ca <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to the Apple.Com store page. Scroll to the very bottom. On the left there is a small picture that says "Special Deals. Great prices on limited offers. Save."
The next page says: iBook 600MHz/128MB/20GB/CD/Enet/56K/12.1" TFT - Refurbished

This model should have a 16 MB Rage Mobilty Radeon (not 7500). Isn't 16 MB the minimum for Quartz Extreme?

Thanks for your prompt response and links.

A. M. Smedley
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My mistake, I didn't see the Special Deals. However, considering there is only a $200 difference between the 2, I would personally get the 700 MHz model - more speed (which you'd want). The 600 MHz model shown on the Specials page does not indicate what model it is, so figuring out its VRAM is hard. The 600 MHz model iBook came with both 8 and 16 MB of VRAM; the model shown there doesn't say which. I think the 16 MB had dual-USB, but I'm not sure on this.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I run OSX 10.2 with 384MB and it runs fine. A few weeks ago I left my iBook on for about 7 days. If you run hardcore programs and games you may have problems but I usualy run the iBook for days without rebooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> My mistake, I didn't see the Special Deals. However, considering there is only a $200 difference between the 2, I would personally get the 700 MHz model - more speed (which you'd want). The 600 MHz model shown on the Specials page does not indicate what model it is, so figuring out its VRAM is hard. The 600 MHz model iBook came with both 8 and 16 MB of VRAM; the model shown there doesn't say which. I think the 16 MB had dual-USB, but I'm not sure on this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to this link on Low End Mac the model does have the 16 MB Rage Mobility. I think that the 600/CD-ROM version only came with the 16 Mb version. If it had DVD-ROM/CD-RW or Combo it could be the older version. I thought all iceBooks had dual USB?

US$200 = CAN$304. For me, that's 512 MB of RAM with something left over. For my first mac absolute CPU speed is not my greatest concern. Unfortunately, price is a very big consideration.

Lars, thanks again for your prompt response and sharing your point of view.

A. M. Smedley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I run OSX 10.2 with 384MB and it runs fine. A few weeks ago I left my iBook on for about 7 days. If you run hardcore programs and games you may have problems but I usualy run the iBook for days without rebooting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's good to hear. I don't plan on running anything that draining except maybe for Warcraft III @ Low detail.

Do you shutdown your iBook while travelling or do you put it to sleep? How long does it take to power up or awaken?

Thanks for your input

A. M. Smedley

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I do not realy travel with it all that much. I just shut the lid and it takes about two seconds to power back on. Make sure you get the 16mb VRAM. 384 is good but maxing out would be better.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
remember this is from the usa apple store and not available to canada
so you would have to pay duty and taxes on plus shipping up here
I wouldnt bother, the duty will make it a bad deal

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
according to NAFTA, there should not be any duties nor tarrifs

taxes yes, GST and PST is due

and whatever shipping and handling costs - usually the larger couriers have outrageous border crossing fees - why? - cause they can

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
taxes, duty, fees shipping,, blah blah
it all adds up
You are better off buying in Canada
heck theres a 800mhz iBook for sale right now in the Trading post

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i do agree about buying canadian, especially when it comes to support and service issues

usually and sort of 'deal' to be had in the U.S. doesn't work for the one-off buyer - if you buy in bulk then maybe

i do agree, that the exchange rate, shipping, border costs and support issues make it usually unsavoury for canadians to buy stuff in the u.s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts