Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is strange as hell. Upon booting up my new refurb 1.83ghz Core Duo Mini, I noticed an odd chime/jingle that would randomly play in the background. It sounded kind of like a windows start up/shutdown jingle, but obviously not the same one. I've heard a number of different ones, e.g. some chime/go 'up', others 'down', but its the same harp/synth-like instrument. I am SO totally stumped.. and worried that my new Mac Mini is haunted!

Sometimes it'll play shortly after the last time.. sometimes I can go an hour or more without hearing it. It plays in the background when I have Frontrow open, or even when I'm just browsing webpages.

I have 'sound effects' turned off in system preferences, and it even played when I had the 'alert' volume down to zero. My latest idea was to trash all the GarageBand samples that came installed... we'll see how that plays out.

Anyone have any ideas about this??

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
heh... very interesting mystery! Are you sure it's the Mac? Nothing else in / under / behind the Mini that could do this? Sounds are often tricky things.

Looking forward to finding out what that is. :)

In your other thread, you noted that you did an "erase and install" - just to be clear, that's a total wipe and clean OS install, not an "archive and install" that keeps your user files, etc. intact, right? If it was the latter, there maybe something in your startup items that gets launched and does this.

Have you created a 2nd user account, completely clean, and logged into it (log out of your principal account) to see if this repeats?

M

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its the Mini because there's nothing else plugged into the receiver, and when the sound was playing, I cut the power to the receiver and it stopped half way.

I definitely did an Erase and Install. I haven't tried a second user account.. mostly because I don't use one on my laptop... bad habit?

I'm using a Logitech Wireless Desktop MX 700... is there any possibililty that this could be the problem? I chekced Logitech's website, and they don't have the drivers (if there were any) listed anymore for download.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Some sort of memory (RAM) warning??? Doesn't seem right...

Soooo, you are hearing 'voices'.... we have medication for that... :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Some sort of memory (RAM) warning??? Doesn't seem right...

Soooo, you are hearing 'voices'.... we have medication for that... :D
You said in your other post that it was only supposed to come with 512 Ram, and you were surprised it came with 1gig! Maybe rgray has something with the Ram warning, maybe that's why it was referbed in the first place, someone put sketchy ram in there, then the thing started chiming, and they sent it back assuming it was the mini itself.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
You said in your other post that it was only supposed to come with 512 Ram, and you were surprised it came with 1gig! Maybe rgray has something with the Ram warning, maybe that's why it was referbed in the first place, someone put sketchy ram in there, then the thing started chiming, and they sent it back assuming it was the mini itself.
One might expect that the refurb process would find bad RAM, no? If not, what the hell are they "refurb'ing"???

Now, about that medication..... :D

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
Ok. one more shot at this. You noted that the Mini is plugged into a receiver - so you're piping your audio out through that, right? Does the Mini make the sound via its internal speaker too? Maybe the issue is with the receiver?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I deleted the Garageband samples, and so far so good. If it was a ram warning of some kind, it seems strange that it would choose to play one of those files?? I haven't noticed any abnormal, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the immediate problem was the sound.. and if that was a sign of something worse, how would I go about diagnosing it?

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
It's highly unlikely that this has to do with faulty RAM. The RAM check is done on startup -even before you hear the "bong". If you were to get anything musical (i.e., the RAM failure alert), it would happen on startup.

Disconnect the Mini from the receiver, and see if the sound occurs using only the Mini's internal speaker or headphones. If it only happens when the receiver is connected, it's not likely that the problem is the Mac.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured it out... it was some really REALLY terrible sounding AdiumX notifications. The sound was Tokyo train station, and it was playing whenever a contact logged on or off. How bloody annoying!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts