Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nick, that is an interesting experiment.

I have just upgraded ever since I got my eMac a couple of years ago, now all the way to Panther.

I am not sure if it is slower than it used to be or not, since every update must only slow it down gradually.

I think I might try your solution one weekend and see what happens.

I will let everyone know if it has the same effect on my eMac.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hey Nick, a freah install will 99% of the time speed things up dramatically...it's a real pain to do though and it takes time to reinstall all the software (thirdparty etc) and you have to back things up. As well, you almost always forget something ( safari bookmarks or IE ones..little annoying things like that!) in OS9 a clean install every once in awile was a must..conflicts, general sporatic behavior, and a pain in the but OS..I loved it but OSX kills it in over all stability. In OSX I have YET to do a clean install do to slowdowns, things not working etc and this goes for the three macs I own

OSX has been rock solid for me all along...DO what a lot of people do on here and run Onyx, or cocktail every week to keep OSX in check..I use cocktail and it keeps my dual 800 humming along real nice! so before you do a fresh install try running one of these utilities first..as well never upgrade over a OS if possible do an archive and install...That is the way to go...Panther should humm along quite well on your G4!, it really sped up all my macs a lot...Mark

·
Registered
454 Posts
So, disapointted about the fact that there will be no G5 under the tree this year, I decide to squeze every drop of preformance I could out of my aging G4.

I deciced last night at about 10:30 that it was time for a 'fresh' install of everything. So I backed up everything I needed and did a reinstall of everything on a completly cleaned drive.

However this time I installed OS 9 and then Panther. And boy is it ever a lot faster!
I think that upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 might of slowed it down a lot. I also regularly defrag my drive with disk warrior and repair premissions. I was not expecting this type of speed increase. What a pleasent suprise.

I would say overall it is 30% - 35% faster. Clean install highly reccomended to all.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Nick- did you initialize with your OS9 CD or your OSX? I'm about ready to install Panther (fresh) along with OS9 (for Classic), but I'm not sure if I should first boot off of OS9 or OSX to reformat.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hello csonni

I initialize with my OS 9 cd. I would recommend if you are a graphics user to make a "Scratch disk" between 6-10 gig's.

If you are a graphic user but are not sure what a "scratch disk" is. Just make one and we can explain later. All you need to know right now is: "They are your friend"

Later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts