Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been housecleaning preparatory to moving soon. With some trepidation, I approached my storage room which was filled with boxes from computers and various appliances. Laziness allowed me to keep shoving the boxes in there, and I put off the hassle of disposing of them way too long.

Boxes for appliances and other consumer goods are engineered so that a whole swack of them will fit in a certain space - namely on a pallet or in a container. How big that makes the box in relation to it's contents is irrelevant when designing boxes. If the item inside the box is too small, just shove in more styrofoam.

If you just buy one coffee pot, getting rid of the box and it's styrofoam liner isn't a big deal, but when you have a bunch like I did, it's a chore.

First, the styrofoam is as big as the box. So what do you do? You can break the box down and fold it, but all the boxes I had to deal with were just enough off square that you couldn't really do a decent job of folding down and then you're still left with that styrofoam.

They make packing peanuts that dissolve, why can't they make the stuff that's holding your coffee maker in place out of the same stuff.

And then the darn coffee maker quit working after a couple of brews anyway :(

Margaret

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
First, the styrofoam is as big as the box. So what do you do? You can break the box down and fold it, but all the boxes I had to deal with were just enough off square that you couldn't really do a decent job of folding down and then you're still left with that styrofoam.

They make packing peanuts that dissolve, why can't they make the stuff that's holding your coffee maker in place out of the same stuff.
What bugs me is the city of Ottawa USED to accept styrofoam in the recycle box, so it wasn't a problem, but in the last couple of years they stopped so now we HAVE to throw that in the garbage. Talk about reducing space in landfills... man that was one big step backwards.

Another thing that bugs my Mom, she buys plants in plastic pots that has the same recycle number as margarine tubs and the city accepts the margarine tubs, but not the planter pots! LOL

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
What bugs me is the city of Ottawa USED to accept styrofoam in the recycle box, so it wasn't a problem, but in the last couple of years they stopped so now we HAVE to throw that in the garbage. Talk about reducing space in landfills... man that was one big step backwards.

Another thing that bugs my Mom, she buys plants in plastic pots that has the same recycle number as margarine tubs and the city accepts the margarine tubs, but not the planter pots! LOL
Ottawa recycles???? Calgary says they will get around to it in 2009. We do have some drive up bins. Can't recall anything for styrofoam.:eek: Like you said; it is really needed.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Last time I was in PEI, there was an art gallery that used real popped popcorn instead of those styrofoam bits......

The popcorn is easily re-processed by backyard fauna.... unlike the damn styrofoam.

Around here the smaller artisans take all the styrofoam packing 'peanuts' they can get and reuse them to ship thier own product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts