1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the rumors are bubbling.

AppleInsider | Redesigned MacBook Pro, iMac may come in first half of 2011

Any speculation? Hopes? Dreams?

I've got the unibody 13" Macbook pro and in another 6 months it will be a year and a half old. Not one problem yet, battery works like new. And I'll still have 1.5 years of apple care on it. I'm considering selling it off just prior to the new announcement in order to grab the new one.

What do you guys think the redesigned MacBook Pro will be?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I really don't think there will be any changes to the MBP line beyond a slight speed bump. In fact, your article states...

"The Mac maker reportedly plans to launch "at least four upgraded MacBook Pros" with a "slight change" in chassis design"

I don't see any reason to sell a current MBP at the moment. I'm in a similar situation as you and plan to max the ram at 8gigs and install a 500gb hybrid drive to keep pace. I''ll consider selling in another year. However, this 13" MBP is just sooooo good there is going to have to be something worthwhile to replace it with!

·
Premium Member
17,946 Posts
The MBA has shown the direction future MBPs will go... the only question is: how long until the MBP loses the optical drive?

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
The MBA has shown the direction future MBPs will go... the only question is: how long until the MBP loses the optical drive?
that is a massive leap in logic...

the MBA has had no optical drive since it was launched in early 08. there have been like 3 or 4 iterations of MBP since then then, all of which retain the ODD. what makes you think apple will suddenly ditch it now?

don't get me wrong, i would be one of the people who would appreciate a larger battery and no ODD, but there are many, many people who wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
17,946 Posts
Heh... well, it's not simply an issue of what people have wanted feature-wise. One of the reasons Apple did not embrace Blu-Ray lies in the anticipation that spinning pieces of plastic with limited storage capabilities will in the not-too-distant future be as out of date as the original floppy disk. The "cloud", and high-capacity solid-state memory sticks are going to supplant discs. I so very rarely use the optical drive in my MacBook, I honestly wouldn't miss it.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I wouldn't expect someone to just hand over their 8 gig memory stick to offload some pics. Giving someone a $2 DVD or CD isn't much of a concern, though.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
One of the reasons Apple did not embrace Blu-Ray lies in the anticipation that spinning pieces of plastic with limited storage capabilities will in the not-too-distant future be as out of date as the original floppy disk.
i dont buy that for a minute. apple didnt embrace blu ray because of money, plain and simple. it would have cost too much to a)license the technology and b)put slot loading BD drives into their machines. they would have had to either raise prices or lose margin, neither of which they wanted to do. if they really, truly believed that optical media was dead when BD came out they wouldnt still have ODDs in *every* single Mac except for 1

don't ever, for one second, ever think that every single thing apple does isn't driven by money, plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
i dont buy that for a minute. apple didnt embrace blu ray because of money, plain and simple. it would have cost too much to a)license the technology and b)put slot loading BD drives into their machines. they would have had to either raise prices or lose margin, neither of which they wanted to do. if they really, truly believed that optical media was dead when BD came out they wouldnt still have ODDs in *every* single Mac except for 1

don't ever, for one second, ever think that every single thing apple does isn't driven by money, plain and simple.
i agree, and i think the bigger reason there's no BD support at all on OS X is because of itunes and not wanting to give other options on how to watch movies.

·
$webGeek = 1;
331 Posts
I'm hoping for this to come to fruition soon:

CBC News - Technology & Science - Apple gets 3D patent, no glasses needed

I can really only imagine what the "three-dimensional and holographic" images that these screens produce might actually look like (I'm imagining star trek or Star Wars right now): but, those screens should allow OSX to expand to a whole new level of amazing greatness! As usual I can't wait to see what Apple does with this technology. :love2:

·
Registered
701 Posts

I can really only imagine what the "three-dimensional and holographic" images that these screens produce might actually look like (I'm imagining star trek or Star Wars right now): but, those screens should allow OSX to expand to a whole new level of amazing greatness! As usual I can't wait to see what Apple does with this technology. :love2:
I have that on my Android cellphone, it's not all that up to snuff yet.. 3D (glasses or without) has a LOT of progress to do before it can be fully usable, without headaches, without having to reposition the screen (angle + distance) for every different video/image made by different people with different settings etc... Not to say some people like 2 of my friends can only see a blur and no 3D....

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Apple will kill the optical drive eventually, just not yet. I believe that apple will come out with some kind of cloud storage solution. When that is in place, hard drives and optical drives will go the way of the dodo. Think of your hard drive being in the clouds, 3G connectivity would give you access to them from anywhere. No need to burn a disk, just send a link or stream to your TV.

Thats where its likely going, how long it takes to get there is another question!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Heh... well, it's not simply an issue of what people have wanted feature-wise. One of the reasons Apple did not embrace Blu-Ray lies in the anticipation that spinning pieces of plastic with limited storage capabilities will in the not-too-distant future be as out of date as the original floppy disk. The "cloud", and high-capacity solid-state memory sticks are going to supplant discs. I so very rarely use the optical drive in my MacBook, I honestly wouldn't miss it.

So true. I just finished converting all my "plattered" videos to digital and saved to an external hard disk.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Ever hear about the Nintendo Virtual Boy?

·
$webGeek = 1;
331 Posts
Ever hear about the Nintendo Virtual Boy?
Are these new screens really that bad?

I remember those things were red, noisy, and I think they were supposedly the first 3D device of their kind. My old friend was one of the few people in the world to ever get one of those beasts. I thought the thing was pretty sweet considering original nintendo was the best console I had tried before that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts