Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are good, high-quality printers for an affordable price? Like Epson, HP, etc... looking for some recommedations (that works under v10.3 Panther).

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have been using an Epson Stylus Photo 1200 since 1999. I believe it has been replaced with the 1280, but is basically the same printer. I use it primarily for graphics (11x17 format) work and the reproduction quality is stunning (especially on Epson Media). Anything printed in colour should be printed on Epson media (or HP or Canon etc..) Prints (other than text) done on normal bond are poor by comparison. Ink jet printers such as mine are costly to run, so if you tend to print lots of text or reproduction quality isn't a huge issue then a laser printer is probably the cheapest in the long run. Printer companies make their money on the consumables. In a perfect world we would have a laser printer for text and a ink jet for colour/graphics. Take a look at the Epsons, in the four years I've owned the 1200, it has never given me any grief (the drivers from Epson worked just fine on OSX) and continues to produce print quality that blow people away (photographs and/or graphic layouts)

·
Registered
110 Posts
We use the 1280 and it's a great printer for the money.

Plays nice with everything. And fast.

·
Registered
630 Posts
One more thing: if you are in the market for a high-end graphics printer get one that has a black cartridge and then individual colour cartridges (e.g. separate magenta, separate yellow etc.); you only need to replace the cartridges you need instead of one large colour cartridge. The Epson Photo 1200 does NOT have this feature (maybe the 1280 does???) and it's annoying to replace a $50.00 cartridge when you know you only used two of the five primary colours. The Epson 1280 is probably in the $500-$600 dollar range. There are several printers above this range which can produce archival-quality, full bleed prints - a first in colour photographic reproduction.

I know Pamela enjoys her wide-carriage Canon ( I believe it's a Canon) and it has separate ink cartridges so you may want to ask her about that particular printer.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
(Thread hijack
)

We're still looking for a wide-format (13x19) printer, leaning toward Epson, with individual colour tanks (and possibly to be adapted for a continuous-ink system). Primary output will be photographs for mounting (my friend does a lot of nature photography and competes with the local photo guild).

The Epson Stylus Photo EX we have now does a fairly good job, though the Gimp-print drivers don't give us the full control over the printer that we'd like (i.e., all of the toolbox features, low-ink advisory, etc.). ...and Epson doesn't have our model on its radar for backward-engineering drivers for OS X.

So - recommendations?

M

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Epson 2000 series (I believe it's silver in colour) revolutionized colour photography because its pigment-based inks are of archival quality. Traditional chemical processing (for colour photography) has never been archival thus, colour negs and prints must be cold-stored to prevent image deterioration (NASA stores all their Apollo Mission negs in cold storage). Closer to home, just look at colour prints of your family from say 30 years ago. The new archival colour printers from Epson have now solved this problem and they claim that images printed on these machines (on acid-free, archival media) will last as long as an archivally produced B&W image. For those of you who are unfamiliar with archival processing: unlike colour, B&W images can be processed archivally (to last > 500 years give or take) on fibre-based paper using a special archival process involving labourious washing, fixing and toning techniques. I know..."but, I don't need archival quality": consider this, 99.9 percent of the paper we put through printers is not "acid-free" which results in yellowing of the paper (just look an older newpaper). I find that images start to yellow and deteriorate very quickly after I've printed them (especially on clay-based papers). If you want your images/ print-outs to last beyond a few months and/or you want archival-quality colour/B&W images for professional reasons (galleries/museums are not too fond of purchasing trad-processed colour prints because they're not archival) take a look at Epson's archival printers.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I started with a canon then went to epson, lexmark and now I'm back at canon. Personally I can't stand Epson. I find them loud, obnoxious and finicky. But those are just the ones I've used.

I love Canon and I couldn't be happier with the large 13x19 format photo printer I got about a year ago...the S9000. PLUS I got a great open box deal so ended up only paying about $650 for it if I remember well at London Drugs. It's smooth, QUIET, FAST, foolproof, and prints awesome quality of course. Has SIX individual ink tanks (black, photo cyan, photo magenta, yellow, cyan and magenta), does borderless printing, and warns when levels are low. I do a significant amount of printing and have only replaced the cartridges maybe 3 times since I've had it. They are about $18 each and are readily available. I use the Epson paper for lack of other company that I am happy with and they work well. It also does banners.

It's usb and I have it working with my airport extreme to do wireless printing. what a dream

the link to the specs can be found here

Good luck

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
The EPSON Stylus Pro 3000 is one of the best printers for the low end pro market.

paper sizes from 8.5" x 11" - 16.5" x 23.4" and you can add a 16" roll with a cutter option

separate ink cartridges for each of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (CMYK)

Use with the Epson papers you can get very good results.

CAUTION: Epson tends to over saturate their colours which makes them vibrant, but not that that useful for color proofing. (i.e. separations)

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Epson 3000 will definitely outdo any of the abovementioned brands/models on every count. I could go on and on as to why... but I don't have the time right now. If anyone is interested, I can email them lots of specs, etc. Epson's site also has lots of info. The 300 still gets an average of about $500 (US) on eBay.

Coincidentally, I happen to have one of these for sale. Because of its size, though, I can only sell it locally. If anyone's interested, let me know.

·
Registered
728 Posts
pam you really like the s9000 and will recommend it correct? fast, excellent photo print quality, seperate ink wells and quiet.
i am also looking into a new photo archival printer, i think highly of the epson 2200 because of print quality and the pigment archival inks, should i feel epson has a leading edge, regardless of print speed and noise. cause i know their product and thought the epson s/w and print driver is more comparable to mac, am i wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
In the low end:

Epson C84. 4 individual archival inks, true borderless printing on any support size (up to 8.5 x 11 inch) and super high resolution (1440x5760). Quiet too. 150$ give or take.

In the High end:

Canon i9100 Wide format. 6 individual inks, stunning photorealism and fast. 699$ or so.

--PB

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
pam you really like the s9000 and will recommend it correct? fast, excellent photo print quality, seperate ink wells and quiet.
i am also looking into a new photo archival printer, i think highly of the epson 2200 because of print quality and the pigment archival inks, should i feel epson has a leading edge, regardless of print speed and noise. cause i know their product and thought the epson s/w and print driver is more comparable to mac, am i wrong?

You would have to ask someone else about the compatibility of epson vs. canon for the Mac....but all I know is that I've been more than happy and impressed with my canon s9000 and setup was flawless to connect it to my airport extreme. The software is great too. I back it up 100%. And since performace was similar between a similar epson version at the time I bought, I felt that the speed, quietness, and seperate cartridge ability put the canon ahead.

Now I'm sure they have both since come out with newer models and I guess Posterboy named the canon upgrade but I won't be changing anytime soon...it does everything I need and more and for a great price!

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Last Xmas we bought a Canon S520 for $49. after rebate,
There are 3 colour inks carts and a black cartridge.
If you are on a tight budget...This is about the cheapest and
most reliable printer you can get and it still has photo print
capabilities.

We use it mostly for text printing at the moment.
Also...It will run with just the black cartridge installed.
For less than the cost of a set of cartridges...
It's served us well.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Rollee

As far as compatibility is concerned, there should not be a problem.
The old Apple Stylewriters were manufactured by Canon
For a long while (Pre USB) Epson was the only other 3rd party printer that would run on the mac.
I currently have a Stylus Color 900 and it does a great job. Sure it's noisy and a bit slow, but still gives good photos(not archival quality) I bought it so that my wife could print from her serial port and I swap out USB from across the room. Og course I paid more for that new than most printers now-a-days. :(
Go with your heart on this one

·
Registered
728 Posts
being an epson user, i might go for the canon this time, no wonder the s9000 has dropped significantly in price.
the s9000 can print with just 'black' (for text) is a much better design, the epson will not move if one ink well is empty.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Rollee,

You mentioned that you wanted an archival printer - yes? I'm not 100 % sure, because I haven't done the research, but I don't think Canon makes an archival printer. If you're happy with Epson why switch? There's a reason why Epson has such a huge professional following (in the digital imaging/graphic design world). As I mentioned above, my Epson is going on five years old, has seen heavy use and continues to pump out great prints with no hassel - ever. As for your printer not printing when a well is empty: my Epson (see above) will continue to print in black even if the colour cartridge is empty and visa versa. If you need to print something quickly and don't have time to run out to the store for a new cartridge try removing the empty cartridge and then reinstalling it, thus fooling the printer into thinking the cartridge has been replaced - this seems to work for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts