Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need an optical mouse with a scroll wheel. What are people using and how much does it cost?
Thanks for the info,
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Sorry you missed out, but during the holidays Best Buy was selling Microsoft Optical Scroll Mice for $14.99 Cdn.

I got one and it works great.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i've got the logitech mx700 or m700 (it's at home right now, and can't remember the exact name).

excellent mouse. it has a very high quality 'feel' to it. it is a little heavier and slightly larger than most mice, but in a good way. quite ergonomic, with foward/back buttons just above where your thumb would rest.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I'm using a Graphire USB cordless scroll mouse on top of a 4x5
tablet, I think Carbonation has them on sale at their web site.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I once used the Graphire one as well... was soso on it.

I like a mouse with a touch of weight. I bought a Logitech @ the Apple SoHo location. Was a little bummed as it as a little too light (was not on display), and I get the feeling that I'm not holding anything @ all. :(

I must say that the MS ppl do make some nice mice. ;) Will be looking for another soon. But I will say that I do/did like the Apple - even with the one button. It has a good weight.

H!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'm also using the MX700 Wireless... such a good mouse. ;) Although right now there's the MX900 - and it's Bluetooth-enabled. These mice are pricy, but no other mouse even comes close to the quality of these ones.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Lars, can the MX900 connect to Apples bluetooth with out the use of the Bluetooth plugin that logitech supplies?

Logitech® MX™900 Bluetooth® Optical Mouse
System Requirements • IBM®-compatible system without Bluetooth pre-installed • Windows® 2000, XP (no service pack required) • USB port • CD-ROM drive
Not to mention the lack of a statement about Mac Compatibility. Nothing.

Has any one tested this deal out yet. I have a customer very interested.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Heart, that mouse works with Mac OS X like a charm - the MX900. It comes with a Bluetooth hub (USB-based) in case you don't have built-in Bluetooth, but it works with Apple Macs with built-in Bluetooth.

I know it works under Mac OS X - Inside Apple (my web site) and Logitech work together. You'll be able to read a review of the MX900 in a little bit on insideapple.com

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would recomment the Logitech mx500 or mx900 mice. Both have all the buttons you'll ever need and a scroll wheel. The mx900 is wireless using blutooth, like mentioned. But keep in mind, if you want a new mouse for gaming, don't even bother looking at wireless. They lag to much for anything precion.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
But keep in mind, if you want a new mouse for gaming, don't even bother looking at wireless. They lag to much for anything precion.
I disagree. My MX700 wireless is more percise than some of the corded optical mice I've used in the past. And even in gaming, my wireless MX700 never lets me down, nor have I ever experienced any lag with it. Then again, the MX700 isn't some cheap, no-name brand wireless mouse - we are talking Logitech here, afterall. ;) It's something like a $99 mouse.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
BestBuy
M$ USB optical 2-button w/ scroll wheel mouse for Windows, Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X
$14.99 - deal du jour

they hide the mice at this price in the corner in the back
just ask one of the über geeks at BestBuy

i bought one and haven't looked back

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Like macspectrum and the Mayor, I have a MS optical mouse with scrollwheel. I bought it for 19 bucks at Staples about a year ago...just because it was such a smokin deal. I figured I could put the Apple Pro mouse (that I truly loved) away for a while and rack up some of the hard miles on a cheapo replacement. (the Apple mouse was a hundred US$ when I bought it in Montana, back in 2001)

Good mouse. Not as ergonomic as the Apple Pro...but I liked it. Not sure what to make of all those extra buttons, but it worked well.

About a year after I started using it...I began to notice that my pointer always seemed to be at the top of the page. No matter where I had stopped. I was constantly moving back down to where I wanted to be. I flipped the MS mouse over and made sure that there weren't any stray cat hairs clustered around the LED (this will play unholy hell with an optical mouse).

Nope. Nothing was out of place, and the cable looked fine.

But it still shot my pointer up to the top of the page each time I stopped moving the mouse.
:eek:

So I unplugged it and went back to the trusty Apple Pro mouse....which had already given me more than two years of faithful service, BTW.

I'm using the Apple mouse right now. The MS mouse is currently hanging on the wall from a hook, as dead as a Howard Deans political aspirations. Alongside a whole bunch of other dead gear that I have on display (just to remind me). ;)

My opinion...if you're interested...is that the MS optical mouse was a decent piece that was very cheap to buy and fine to use, for about a year. Then it started to screw up and needed to be replaced. It was a Bic lighter.

Which is a metaphor for my experience with PC's in general.

Which is why I am now such a fanatic for Apple stuff. ;)

And why I am now using an Apple mouse. And why I will probably buy another one, if this one ever quits. No matter what it costs. :cool:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm using a Kensington Expert Mouse.

great product!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
i need a new mouse here at the office for doing design work. I am trying to decide between the microsoft, logitech mx, or kensington studio mouse. Anyone use any kensington products?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts