ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how the recent floods and storms that caused power outages affected computers/servers and business related downtime and/or data loss.

Since I have been back in Canada, I have noticed that back up and recovery standards are all over the place with many people and businesses not taking necessary steps to protect data. I deal mostly with small/medium business and convincing them to invest in protecting their data is not easy.

I hope these recent events are a wake up call - what do ehMacer's think?

·
Premium Member
42,279 Posts
Never mind storms--what about routine power outages? Most smaller and medium-sized businesses are happy to test fate.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
I think anyone who doesn't back up their data, whether personal or business of any size, deserve everything they get.

These issues you note should be stellar examples of exactly why multiple backups, onsite & off, are required. Solutions should almost sell themselves...

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
Yep I have a complete back-up drive I can literally grab on my way out the door. OTOH if the house were destroyed.....

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Dropbox. For all the issues about cloud computing, the effortlessness of it all is a big plus.

A writing teacher of mine had her house broken into and laptop stolen, but fortunately, her work was still safe and accessible to her via Dropbox.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
it seems people are not willing to invest / prevent a disaster - rather pay when it happens and then blame everyone else for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts