Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two juggernauts: Bell Sympatico and Rogers Cable.

The "little" guy I am looking at: magma.ca

Anyone have experience with them?

Would you like to reccomend another high speed ISP that is mac friendly (or at least congenial)?

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
It's the same old argument...
Cable in ideal conditions is considerably faster than DSL. But, cable fluctuates widely depending on the area you live in, it's a network after all. In my area I get good download speeds (between 1000 kbps & 1700 kbps typically). Good for me, for now. Others don't do as well in their area. By the way, those readings are taken from here...
http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth

DSL (Telus out in this neck of the woods) offers better pricing, freebies, but fewer email addresses, and slower overall download speeds, (well below 1000 kbps here) but gives you a free DSL modem.

So, I say... take the free 30 day trial of both (which they both offer out here). Run them both side by side, tally the prices, and ask yourself questions about the free web space, the number of email addresses offered, whether you need to purchase the modem, how much speed do you need, etc, etc..

Both are good, but one is better than the other depending on your needs. If I had a dish instead of cable TV, I'd get DSL and kiss cable goodbye completely. But I have cable TV, and cable Internet, so it works together just fine for my family's needs.

-GW

·
Registered
809 Posts
I"m not really sure I understand the delemma.
If you use a firewall device the ISP never knows what OS you are running behind it and is out of the equation so their mac friendliness is of no consequence. You do your own simple networking between your Mac and the firewall with no need to install their software.
Or is it the customer support pages which you want to be mac friendly?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Script Kiddie, I had problems with sympatico at my previous job because thier PPPoe manager would funk up by boot up half the time. Now, we were running 9.2.2 at the shop and I am running X at home now. This changes everything. I am still wrapping my head around the OS shift I began about a month ago.

I was on the phone with Bell a LOT and the service was often down. I want customer service not to sound disappointed when I call and tell them I'm using a Mac. And (surprise) I want them to be ABLE to serve me.

Now, I'm going to be splitting this with my (PC-based) downstairs neighbour, perhaps via a wireless router if I fork out for and Airport card (leaning towars a cable run outside the house to $ave). A router means no 3rd party connection utilities, yes, but who knows what other issues I may have...

Anyways (enough ranting) magma offers DSL service in downtown TO for
$24.95 for 3 months, $39.95 after
1.5 Mbps down/320 Kbps up
Unlimited Free Downloads & Uploads midnight to 7am
and lot more

Sounds dreamy compared to the competitors. I'm just worried there's a catch.

it would be interesting to poll on who ehMacers use as their ISP. So far I am only hearing about Sympatico, Rogers and DSL/Look. There must be others out there, no?

·
Registered
993 Posts
My experience with Sympatico has actually been very good, although their understanding of Mac OS X wasn't great when I first started with them. Their on-line help is now pretty good when you need it (rare). Their DSL service is very fast, and they are rarely down. One advantage with their DSL is they allow you 10 hr/month of free telephone modem connection that you can access toll-free from many places in Canada. This can be very useful if you travel with a PowerBook, iBook (or laptop PC).

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might want look into inter.net at www.ca.inter.net.

I have been using them for a number of years for their dial up services and now their high speed service seems to be just as reliable. I have not attained the speeds that I should be getting according to your testing methods, but put that down to our inter house wiring and not the ISP, until I can prove otherwise. They also seem to have relatively good support for the MAC community.

The main advantage for me is their extensive coverage for extra free dial-up points throughout Canada and the US, since I travel on a regular basis. For the summer months they have extended the time alotment to 25 hours per month for the convenience of those people who have cottages or who are travelling on vacation.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Been w/ Rogers from almost day one of Hi Speed. Been there for a minute. No huge issues:

2003-08-07 >> 9h20 >> 657 kbps

I did get 1001 kbps from BellNet yesterday AM.

H!

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Hello,

When I lived in Guelph, I found Rogers to be a bit on the slow side and somewhat chaotic. I have, however, found Shaw in both Prince George and North Vancouver to be excellent. Very stable, reliable, and consistent.

James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.