Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is really stupid, however I just never had any experience with or never been in a situation that would require me to learn about DSL connections.

Here is the situation: My girlfriend has been on dial up for years now and wants to upgrade. However a cable connection is not possible or is very impractical because she'll need to install a cable outlet where her computer is. And no, running a wire stapled along the wall is out of the question. So I recommended DSL as an alternate option. But i just want to make sure i got this right about DSL. Is it through the phone line but still just as fast or almost as fast as Cable? And can you recieve calls while on DSL, if DSL requieres a phone jack? Is there anything else I should know?

Sorry for the ignorance on DSL, I swear I'm a lot more knowledgable on these things than this post will make me seem

And thanks for any DSL for beginers lessons I'm about to recieve ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Adrian,

DSL does in fact use the phone line, nothing special to setup, except for maybe a filter on the phone line where both your regular telephone and DSL lines go (the filter should be provided in your DSL kit). As far as speed goes, DSL is very fast, but not as fast as cable. Physically, its not possible for a phone line to have more bandwidth than a cable line, but depending on where you live and how cable is setup in the area, your DSL might provide you with better performance. Some cable networks still use the 'shared' system, where if the neighboring area around you is all using cable at the same time, your speeds will fall. In such a case, DSL is a better alternative.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Mac à Montréal, you are a great addition to the community! That was a very good description.

When DSL is set up, do some companies send out a tech to test your phone lines. This could be a factor in an older house. If the house is older it may also mean a little re-wiring. Not to scare you AdrianL but just a consideration.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Plus you have to be within a certain distance from the central DSL facilities (4km here).
I live 14 Kilometers from the base, so it was not feasible.
Cable was my only option.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I work for bell and can assure you that if you hookup DSL and have some issues with speed a technician can be sent out to clear any problem you may have on the line. Yo udo get slower speed if you are more than 4 km away from a central office. I can also tell you that
Bell will be upgrading the system to give all customers 3meg service at the cost of 1meg in the near future.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
It was touched upon earlier....I have DSL and I'm very happy with it. My friend used to have it but has since changed to cable. He tells me it's lightning fast.....but slows down around 6pm when people come home from work to play on the net.
That's interesting about Bell upgrading to 3Mbs....I was thinking of switching, I'll hold out now!

·
Registered
350 Posts
And no, running a wire stapled along the wall is out of the question
Well, in my case, I MUST do that. I only have one phone jack in my four room apartment, and I must a 25' phone cable to connect my DSL modem. I must have also a splitter to use... my phone. :D

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Hi Adrian,
If you want to know if your girlfreinds home qualifies for DSL just go http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf? Follow to sympatico high speed. On the right side of the menu you will find, Check availability. Just input the number and "Bingo", you know if your phone qualifies. Even if you choose to use someone else (Like Primus for instance) this will still prove your availability.
Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts