Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone subscribe to Apple Music? I am just wondering how you like it. I have an Apple TV and one of the "channels" if you will is radio. It certainly covers my music needs, that and my iPod and iTunes. My thoughts are that my "radio" channel may go bye-byes, and one wonders about iTunes as well. So is Apple Music worth it and, will it be my only choice when Apple's smart speaker come to market.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
If everything you use is Apple, Apple music is certainly worth it. It also works on Android too.

But Apple Music, like Google Play allows you to upload all your music to listen anywhere.

Google does not normalize sound, so it sounds louder than Spotify. Search for loudness war for more info about this.

I wish Apple would let users to upload their music for free, which is the case with Google.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
But Apple Music, like Google Play allows you to upload all your music to listen anywhere.
Correction (unless this has changed) but Apple Music does not let you upload music, iTunes Match does.

I use Apple Music fairly regularly. It's pretty decent, though as a collector, I tend not to add stuff from Apple Music to my library, since it's DRMed and I don't want to lose track of what is their's vs. mine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Correction (unless this has changed) but Apple Music does not let you upload music, iTunes Match does.
iCloud Music Library is included when you subscribe to Apple Music and gives you all the same access to your personal music collection to/from iCloud.

There used to be some minor variations relating downloading non-DRM copies, you can read a lot more here:
https://www.imore.com/icloud-music-library-ultimate-guide

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
iCloud Music Library is included when you subscribe to Apple Music and gives you all the same access to your personal music collection to/from iCloud.

There used to be some minor variations relating downloading non-DRM copies, you can read a lot more here:
https://www.imore.com/icloud-music-library-ultimate-guide

You will note I said upload. iCloud Music library does not allow for uploading. It gives you a copy of a particular song/album on other devices from Apple Music. For example, if you bought a copy of a particular CD and rip it to your library, all other devices access that Album via Apple Music. If you delete your local copy, and download again from Apple Music, it is a DRMed copy, and you can't play it without a subscription.

The other big distinction (for me) is that unlike with Match, if Apple Music doesn't have a copy of the particular album, you're SOL. You're also stuck with their Metadata.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You will note I said upload. iCloud Music library does not allow for uploading. It gives you a copy of a particular song/album on other devices from Apple Music. For example, if you bought a copy of a particular CD and rip it to your library, all other devices access that Album via Apple Music. If you delete your local copy, and download again from Apple Music, it is a DRMed copy, and you can't play it without a subscription.

The other big distinction (for me) is that unlike with Match, if Apple Music doesn't have a copy of the particular album, you're SOL. You're also stuck with their Metadata.
Apple Music and iTunes Match both allow uploading up to 100,000 songs to iCloud (iCloud Music Library).

Apple Music essentially contains iTunes Match with some download (DRM) restrictions, as you have indicated.

Please see the link provided previously for a detailed breakdown.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts