Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As estimated by Chitika (an on-line ad agency).

iPad Stats

Looks reasonably accurate and likely causing all sorts of indigestion for the iPad haters. Wait till Canada (and 3G models) come on-line.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
That's a really neat page, thanks for that link.

And yeah, the people who called the iPad a flop are probably having to eat a little crow right now :).

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts
who would be dumb enough to call the ipad a flop?

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Half a million after four days = not too shabby, as Bubbles would say.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Nobody seriously claimed the iPad would be a flop. Of course it was going to sell a lot of units. The Apple brand today means cash, regardless of wether the product is any good or not.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The problem is that alot of people are short-sighted and can't see the long-term vision for a product. They look at what the product does today with the current OS and feature set, and don't realize what it can do in the future with future features and software improvements.

The same stuff was said about the iPhone - it couldn't do this, it couldn't do that - over time Apple added to it.

All that Apple has to do is throw out a few software updates. This product has quite the future.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well said Kosh. The iPad is an investment. I'm not buying it because it's a cool device (which it is) I'm buying it because I have well-placed faith in app developers that this is a device that won't go to waste.

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Nobody seriously claimed the iPad would be a flop. Of course it was going to sell a lot of units. The Apple brand today means cash, regardless of wether the product is any good or not.
I think lots of people were serious when they claimed the iPad was gonna be a flop:

Why the iPad will Flop

US Survey Predicts Apple iPad To Be Embarrassing Flop - ITProPortal.com

iPad. Biggest. Flop. Ever. - Snowulf

Apple iPad ? The Flop 2010 Tablet

... and the list continues...

Even
Newsweek switched its tune from disliking the iPad to liking the iPad

But now we're 1/2 a million units sold just in the US and Best Buys are sold out... wait till this thing gets released internationally... :)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts
well given my 3G phone has trouble running one app sometimes because of not a whole lot of ram, running more than one should makes things run even more slowly.

How many apps do you want to run in a tiny window anyways?

ipads, I can see it.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's why the 3G won't be able to multi-task with iPhone OS4. Only the 3GS, iPad, latest iPod Touch and whatever they release in July. That said, the multi-tasking seems to be different from a desktop OS in that when an app is hidden, it will be severely restricted in the processes it can run. If a game, it will simply suspend. If a music app, it will stream the content, etc. The RAM footprint should be a lot less than when the app is in full flight. Still, the restriction to the latest iPhone model suggests either there is some level of hit or that Apple is pushing for people to buy new hardware....

groovetube, there is some bad news in the OS4 developer agreement. In essence, Apple is banning all compilers aside from Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine (more details on Daring Fireball). This seems like a direct (and transparent) attempt to undermine all Flash and AIR-based applications since code compiled on such frameworks will be tossed by the app approval process. It's theoretically possible that there will be ways for Adobe to spit out code that looks as though it was C++ compiled, but I think devs will simply not take the risk.

well given my 3G phone has trouble running one app sometimes because of not a whole lot of ram, running more than one should makes things run even more slowly.

How many apps do you want to run in a tiny window anyways?

ipads, I can see it.
It also looks as though Chitika has re-tuned their real time estimates based on Jobs presentation today. It's come down and now they have a real datapoint, likely will be more accurate (they do detail the assumptions they have to make).

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts
I haven't heard this .Link? Though, one has to wonder what happens when other mobile platforms begin to mature with more friendly developer platforms available.

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts
I just read a pile of reactions to this 'rumor'. No one has confirmed this as true yet, though daring fireball, if it's anti-flash will scream really loud so you have to take anything that site says with a grain of salt. It remains to be seen, because as far I understood it, packerger spits out native objective C.

What I do see, and heard from developers, was a whoooole lotta pissed of developers. Because, this doesn't just affect flash developers. There's a number of other frameworks, beside the iphone packager, in fact the packager is actually quite late to the party (phoneGap?).

Way to go apple if this is true.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One way to find out for sure is to register for the OS4 preview. It's in section 3.3.1 of the NDA. While John Gruber is certainly anti-Flash and pro-HTML5, it looks as though this is a determined attempt by Apple to wall-in applications developers to maintain the AppStore lead (by making it harder to code once, deploy anywhere). I can see the business perspective from Apple - grab and lock-in the current applications developers. But presumably this will cause at least two outcomes:
1. Some devs will run scared from the Apple ecosystem into Android, etc. (albeit with no guarantee of market or less restrictions in the future) not to mention leaving a lucrative market behind - one that their competitors will fill.
2. Large devs will code in Objective C/X-code and port from there to other platforms.

The latter would suit Apple in that it allows first release on the iPhone platform, much like Mac gamers have to wait for years for porting of PC games (at least they used to).

Things working against Flash include its ubiquity in annoying and intrusive adverts (prompting the use of Flash blockers) and its poor performance in Mobile devices (not to mention security issues). The latter may be resolved but if people use more blockers, it will result in less click-throughs and advertisers will drop it for other formats. Meanwhile, content producers using Flash will face a veil for their media due to the bad reputation of Flash caused by those inane ads. I think Silverlight is in the same boat.

In its favour is an established community of Flash developers and a relative ignorance among users of the conflict at hand (although, come to think of it, that ignorance works against Flash - I don't expect to see pro-Flash protests).

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts
port from Obj-C to other platforms? How???

Interestingly enough, the trend is -the other way round-. Why? Because why develop for a minority platform, only to port to all the rest? Obj-C doesn't have too many uses beyond iphone/ipad dev...

The last 24 hours has been absolutely wild in the tweet/blogosphere in the developer world. The overwhelming feeling amongst developers, and surprisingly to me, many non flash developers, is extremely negative towards apple.

And I have to chuckle at the annoying adverts. Those annoying adverts are a huge source of revenue for many major sites (HULU comes to mind...) and if flash isn't used, something else will, that may not be blocked by flash blockers.

Be careful what you wish for.

Apple forcing people on HOW the apps are developed in this fashion is not going over very well in the developer community at all. Because apparently, this doesn't affect just flash developers...

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
i don't program, and know little about the ins and outs of it, but my first reaction to this news was that apple did this because compilers would naturally create bloated and inefficient code, compared to code written natively from the get go.

Would a compiled code run slower, task the processor and battery more than code written natively?

Still, i am getting a bit worried of Apples perceived fight with Adobe. The last thing i need is for Adobe to leave the mac platform. Then i'd be forced to use windows for PS **shudders**

1 - 20 of 42 Posts