Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posting a little sumpin' sumpin' that I'm working on for my new web site. It took approximately 30 minutes to model in ElectricImage Universe, and did a little tweaking in Photoshop (specular hits, shading, shadow).

Sometimes when I sit back and look at the final result, I forget that it doesn't even exist in the real world... a colleague of mine initially thought it was a close-cropped photo. :confused:

Click for larger version along with geometry sample.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i think that looks amazingly great, but still too cartoony for me to even need a second look.

awesome job, though

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sniper:Cartoony?

You wouldn't happen to be a Scottish-born Art Director in Ottawa would you? ;)

A co-worker regailed me in a story about an AD that had a thick Scottish accent that would critique his illustrations... usually with the phrase: "It looks too Car-Tooon-ay". :D

minnes/mmflame: Thanks!
It's not too shabby looking for the first test render... I still need to "drity" it up and add some textures (aside from the reflective mapping). A little bump and grime should do it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the texture will definitely add more realism to it. i think what sniper meant by cartoony is that the design is 'too' perfect and kind of looks like a drawing rather than an actual photo. this takes nothing away from the render you put together, it still looks great.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i'm actually not a scottish born art director, mannyp

that is exactly what i meant, mmflame

don't get me wrong, mannyp. i think you did a very good job. it just doesn't look like a photograph...yet

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I agree with the 'cartoony' feel of the render. Not a failing, as it is extremely convincing rendering, but real-world objects are rarely that clean-looking.

However, if you slipped that into a photograph (attached to a wall or over a sink or somesuch) I may be hard-pressed to notice it as out of place. With maybe the sole exception of lighting, which depending on the photo it's placed into, might look a bit off...

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was kiddin' around. When you said Cartoony I immediately thought of my colleague's previous art director. :D

(it's much funnier when you hear it in person).

But ya, I agree with what everyone said re:cleanliness. I'll probably post an updated version once I add some dings and grime to it.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Faucet... now with 50 % more grime.

Click to view larger version.

This is the first round of texture mapping. It's still not quite there. I'm thinking it needs maybe a little moldy grease around the handle, and some tarnish spots near key areas like the tip of the faucet, and by the "mount" near the wall.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I thought your first image was great, but the second is awesome...great job, Manny. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
mannyp great second job.
Just watch out with the details.
Your threaded end could not work in real life.
Greenish scale buildup would be a nice touch too.
Robert

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, geez... I didn't expect all these replies.

But, robert was the only one to pick out the one flaw I was sure people would notice instantly — the threads. :D

It's more of a limitation on my part that I plan on fixing as I progress in my modeling skills. Good eye robert! ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
fantastic job, manny. now THAT looks like a photo. VERY impressive.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
mannyp - WOW!!! I could swear that was a really good grade photo and not a computer generated image. AWESOME JOB!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wow... nicely done. Very convincing. I fooled 3 people so far...

:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts