Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: The blu-ray/hd-dvd format war

Who is winning the blu-ray/hd-dvd format war?

... have any good links about it?

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
They're going into 5th overtime right now.

Personally I have HD-DVD via my XBox 360 right now.

·
Premium Member
30,884 Posts
That HD DVD trick might be a category killer since it's hackable for use without the XBox

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I don't think anyone is really winning, sounds like both formats are having a hard time of it. As for which is getting more widespread adoption, the PS3 has certainly helped Blu-Ray surpass HD-DVD in the short term for movie sales, helped by broader studio support, but less expensive HD-DVD players coming out of China and price cuts from Toshiba might help turn the tide back in HD-DVD's favor, or at least prolong it's death...

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I personally believe that the Blu-Ray format is winning. Take a look at all the movie studios using it.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I think the latest numbers I saw said Blu-Ray was winning, but I saw another article saying the WalMart was going to be flooding the market with $300 HD players. Flooding the market with cheap players would definitely swing the balance.

Sorry, I can't remember off the top of my head where I saw the WalMart article.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I think the latest numbers I saw said Blu-Ray was winning, but I saw another article saying the WalMart was going to be flooding the market with $300 HD players. Flooding the market with cheap players would definitely swing the balance.

Sorry, I can't remember off the top of my head where I saw the WalMart article.
I linked to it in my post above about the cheaper HD-DVD players from China.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, yes, you did. Been on the phone a good part of the day -
that's what I get for my distractions, missed it. Good read.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The discs are priced the same, but it costs the studios MUCH more to make BD50 than it does to make HD30. Not even in the same league apparently.

To give you an idea... Not only does it cost more to master BD50, it takes 2.5s to make one dual-layer HD DVD, and over 4s to make one dual-layer Blu-ray disc. Obviously, this translates into a significant per disc cost difference. Furthermore, only a few replicators are capable of making BD50. Almost all the non-Sony Blu-ray replicators are only making BD25, with BD50 only in the testing phase.

In addition, it still costs several million bux to implement a Blu-ray stamping line. It is several times cheaper to implement HD DVD stamping equipment, partially because it just involves an update to current DVD stamping machines.

While you may not see the cost difference in your purchased Blu-ray discs from say Warner, this has a huge impact on the smaller studios, because they can't easily just eat the cost difference for producing the discs.
Question: Does anyone know if this is true? Could this be the determining factor in the long run?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Question: Does anyone know if this is true? Could this be the determining factor in the long run?
Even if it is true, which I think there is some truth to it, it doesn't seem like it's influencing the content publisher's decision as to which technology to use, since most of the big name studios are backing Blu-Ray.

The determining factor is going to be what consumers buy. What consumers buy is going to be influenced by what they think is winning the war. If BluRay can continue to maintain it's position of strength, we'll see it start to gain share at the expense of HD-DVD since consumers generally flock to the safer investment in these situations. Witness the computer market. If all people see is articles about how BluRay is eating HD-DVDs lunch, people will tend to sway towards BluRay out of fear of buying the next Betamax.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Apparently the company that leaked the story about $299 HD-DVD players at Wal-Mart has retracted it.

I thought it sounded fishy. What would Wal-Mart stand to gain by backing one format over the other? If they just wanted to have cheap players to sell, why would they care if it was HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? Wouldn't they hedge their bets and try to get cheap versions of both or wait a little and then back the format that seems to be winning and therefore will sell more movies?

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Apparently the company that leaked the story about $299 HD-DVD players at Wal-Mart has retracted it.

I thought it sounded fishy. What would Wal-Mart stand to gain by backing one format over the other? If they just wanted to have cheap players to sell, why would they care if it was HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? Wouldn't they hedge their bets and try to get cheap versions of both or wait a little and then back the format that seems to be winning and therefore will sell more movies?
I saw the retraction too and was going to update my post this morning but you beat me to it.

I didn't look at it as WalMart backing one format over the other, but more WalMart seeing which one they could get the cheapest and stocking it, ignoring the other format until they could get it a similar price.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
As was pointed out by However: You can buy a Xbox 360 HD-DVD player for $250 and attach it via USB 2.0 to your PC (don't know if this works on a Mac but I bet it does.). I don't think a hack is required...

Personally I think both formats suck due to excessive DRM but that is just my opinion...

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
As was pointed out by However: You can buy a Xbox 360 HD-DVD player for $250 and attach it via USB 2.0 to your PC (don't know if this works on a Mac but I bet it does.). I don't think a hack is required...

Personally I think both formats suck due to excessive DRM but that is just my opinion...
The one major flaw of the XBox 360's USB HD-DVD option is it's lack of support for HDCP copy protection, which means that in the future you may find yourself not being able to play future movies at HD resolutions. If/when studios ever decide to enable the resolution restriction option of HDCP, your $250 HD-DVD drive will instantly be turned into a very expensive DVD player.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
The one major flaw of the XBox 360's USB HD-DVD option is it's lack of support for HDCP copy protection, which means that in the future you may find yourself not being able to play future movies at HD resolutions. If/when studios ever decide to enable the resolution restriction option of HDCP, your $250 HD-DVD drive will instantly be turned into a very expensive DVD player.
This is a problem with almost any setup. The entire chain needs to be HDCP compliant and almost nothing currently in consumers hands meets this specification completely. Like most early adopters people may have to buy a separate HDCP box to add to the tech chain. In many cases people will need more than one.

Personally I won't bother with Hi-Def till this is all worked out. With this level of DRM I see no reason to play ball. This kind of technology encourages piracy just like those ads for cars or not pirating that you can't skip of fast forward through on regular DVDs . I fail to see why anyone is willing to pay for this garbage.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
This is a problem with almost any setup. The entire chain needs to be HDCP compliant and almost nothing currently in consumers hands meets this specification completely. Like most early adopters people may have to buy a separate HDCP box to add to the tech chain. In many cases people will need more than one.
Well you make it sound like it's such a big deal. Basically, your player and your TV/monitor need to be HDCP compliant. That's not really a chain. For instance, PS3 owners who have an HDMI equipped TV won't have to worry about this issue. That's the difference between Sony's Blu-Ray offering in the PS3 and MS's HD-DVD offering for the XBox 360. One is a proper solution, the other is not. This is why PS3 sales will be a much bigger factor on the format war than the 360's HD-DVD add-on.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Well you make it sound like it's such a big deal. Basically, your player and your TV/monitor need to be HDCP compliant. That's not really a chain.
This is not entirely true. Many systems will need HDCP compliant Amplifiers as well if the video signal goes through one for switching purposes. This doesn't even get into computer setups. Also not mentioned is the fact that many devices sold as HDCP compliant are in fact not HDCP complaint.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts