ehMac banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, I had a previous post about creating a bootable USB. After a mountain of youtube videos I forgot I had an old mac in the basement. Worked like a charm.

So I created my bootable USB with ML. Booted up my laptop, ran the installer and it kept asking me to delete space as there wasn't enough room to install OSX ML.

Shouldn't this simply erase everything on my laptop and start from scratch? I'm not sure what mistake I have made, unless my bootable USB key isn't set correctly.

I'm running El Cap on a 2007 MBP and would like to downgrade to ML

When i start the mac i am pressing option. The following appears

MAC OS, Recovery 10.11.5 and USB MAC OSX

When I select the USB option, it tries to install and then tells me not enough space. My hard rive is around 325GB.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
You would need to wipe the drive first. In the bootable recovery there should be disk utility. In there you can erase the drive and then go about installing your OS. This has worked great for me over the years, I did have an issue recently where it would not let me install the OS, kept saying something was missing, can't remember all the details. I basically had to restore from a time machine of a different Mac and then do it over again. Also as I am sure you are aware, wiping the drive with disk utility erases everything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts