Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyway to add the startup chime on a 2017 imac, it came shipped without one.

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts
Just before shutting down, check to make sure the output volume is not on mute and is at least at the medium level.

May not be the issue, but it has worked for me.

Also run the maintenance scripts from Terminal or Onyx.

More info on the terminal command here:
Apple Tips OSX Maintenance Scripts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is yours a 2017 model? i know with my 2015 imac i can enable and renable

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I never hear the startup sound as I keep my volume set at just one bar on my MacBook Pro. Might this help to get yours working?

How to restore the startup sound

But what if your startup chime has deactivated on its own, completely unintentionally? There are a few things that you can try. The first thing is to ensure that the volume on your Mac's volume is not muted when you shut the machine down. On some models of Mac, if you boot your Mac with the volume muted, the chime will not sound.

The second fix that you can try is resetting the PRAM on your Mac. To do this, perform these steps:

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Hold down the Command, Option, P and R keys.

3. Press the power button, and continue holding the keys.

4. When the computer reboots a the second time, release the keys.

Restore Chime

Zapping the PRAM resets things like volume, display resolution and startup disk settings.
When the MacBook Air reboots the second time, you should hear the chime. If not, then there's one more reset that you can perform: the System Management Controller (SMC) reset, which is done by performing these steps:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Disconnect the computer from any external power sources, and remove all connected accessories.

3. Hold down Shift, Control, Option and Power keys.

4. After a few seconds, release the keys all at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the Mac.

This resets the System Management Controller, and may also spark life back into the magical start up chime. If that fails, however, you may need to visit your local Apple Store to see if another issue ails your Mac.

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It's been a valuable trouble shooting tool on occasion so it seems inevitable that Apple would deep six it.

Wonder how you tell if the command option p r boot combo has been held down long enough?
Video comes on, video dies (unit reboots), video comes back. Not too difficult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts