Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.
Here the deal. Recently, at home, I almost always get a "can not connect host" error message in Safari, FF, Chrome when accessing a specific website (videotron.ca). It's strange because a) I've never encounter this problem with any other website (yet) and b) sometimes (rarely), it just work on the first try (for a few minutes)!

I'm on WIFI (but I tried hardwired and same thing happen), on OS X Yosemite (iMac) and Maverick (MBP) with a d-link. I can connect to the website with on my iPhone and I can ping the website with both machines. Something tells me it's the router but I tried (several time) to reset it with no luck and even by bypassing the router altogether (hard wiring with the modem directly).

Anyone got a idea of what's going on or what could be the cause and how could I solve this issue? Could it be something with the DSN? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
I would begin by applying either the OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and/or Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) servers, see if that helps before going further. I've always had problems with the default ISP DNS numbers.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hello there.
Here the deal. Recently, at home, I almost always get a "can not connect host" error message in Safari, FF, Chrome when accessing a specific website (videotron.ca). It's strange because a) I've never encounter this problem with any other website (yet) and b) sometimes (rarely), it just work on the first try (for a few minutes)!

I'm on WIFI (but I tried hardwired and same thing happen), on OS X Yosemite (iMac) and Maverick (MBP) with a d-link. I can connect to the website with on my iPhone and I can ping the website with both machines. Something tells me it's the router but I tried (several time) to reset it with no luck and even by bypassing the router altogether (hard wiring with the modem directly).

Anyone got a idea of what's going on or what could be the cause and how could I solve this issue? Could it be something with the DSN? Thanks
I suggest you call Videotron technical services and ask that they verify that your modem and WiFi router are working properly. I have found that their tech team is very helpful in solving similar problems.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you!
I will try both things and get back to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts