Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on how to buy ram. I'm thinking of maxing out my blueberry iMac, which will take 256 Mb.

For example, I checked canadaram. com and found the following: 128 Mb of Kingston ram for $73 or the same generic for $52 -- is one better than the other?

Also: one of the generics was called "low profile." What's that? (Same price)

And: 256 Mb is $225 or $115. That's more than twice as much as the cost of two 128s. I don't get it.

These might seem like stupid questions but I've got to learn somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
hi
those iMacs have 2 slots and I believe one of those slots needs low profil ram.
usually it ships with the low profile filled with one stick and the other slot is likely empty.
if you have 32 or 64 mb of ram already then it is likely you have one empty slot
If you want the easy solution just buy one 256 stick and you can keep the low profile one you already have, so you will have 288 or 320 total.
I helped upgrade a similar iMac and it was possible to do it yourself , in about 20 minutes with a diagram from the manual that comes with your iMac or download it.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Generic RAM is a bit of a gamble; I would recommend a quality, lifetime warranty brand (like Kingston).

RAM problems are probably the biggest cause of mysterious instability. Windows users who are in the generic habit for everything PC are usually the victims; it's actually one area where Microsoft isn't the culprit but does get the blame. Knowledgeable PC users won't buy generic RAM either.

RAM can also go bad over time, getting less and less stable as the stick ages. Again, stick with known good brands. It's not worth a $20 to $100 saving even to el-cheapo PC makers if they have any reputation to maintain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts