Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had to look into RAM in some time - and it shows. I was researching just a few nights ago as I got my hands on a MacBook 5,1 unibody and plan to ram it to it's max - 8G, and install a SSD. This is meant to hold me down until I figure out what to buy next (MBA or MBP).

So specs say I need to scoop DDR3 1067Mhz RAM. Although present, there isn't tons of choice. all good.

But correct me if i'm wrong. I can go faster speed, but not slower? Could I not go DDR3 1333Mhz in theory??

As well, I have 2 slots. Am I better off w/ a matching 4G pair, or will it read a 8G stick w/ a slot empty?

Plus does anyone had a brand they want to reco?? For the 1st time ever, i was looking at the *apple* brands that retailers want to sell you - esp after reading some tales on line.

Anyhow, thanks for your time.

H!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Apparently the 1333 will work on a 1066 buss but the speed will still be 1066
folks even try one 1333 and one 1066.... does not work but paired 1333 "apparently"
works at buss speed.

I guess if you want faster ram because it will later be put in a machine with a faster buss
you might do this.

I have NOT tried this at home

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently the 1333 will work on a 1066 buss but the speed will still be 1066
folks even try one 1333 and one 1066.... does not work but paired 1333 "apparently"
works at buss speed.

I guess if you want faster ram because it will later be put in a machine with a faster buss
you might do this.

I have NOT tried this at home
I realized the speed will remain 1066. I was more curious due to availability and choices. Things/choices open up when you start to look @ faster sticks. And in terms of using it for a future lap, all the new ones are all soldered on, so that likely won't be the case.

Thx!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right, I do see there are more 1333 choices than 1066.

I'm also curious about putting one 8 in and leaving one slot empty.
Hope you get an answer to that from someone who has actually done it.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
As I understand it, if the Mac can use 16 GB of RAM (or more) then you can use an 8 GB stick in one slot and nothing or a smaller RAM in the other slot and that will work just fine.There may be a small loss in performance if you don't have matched pairs.

As to mixing RAMs with different speeds - I wouldn't expect that to work.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I understand it, if the Mac can use 16 GB of RAM (or more) then you can use an 8 GB stick in one slot and nothing or a smaller RAM in the other slot and that will work just fine.There may be a small loss in performance if you don't have matched pairs.

As to mixing RAMs with different speeds - I wouldn't expect that to work.
I would not mix speeds - would always match them. But the idea of 2x1333 instead of 2x1066 is what crossed my mind, again for sake of offerings and choice.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're not sure of the best RAM type and configuration for a particular Mac model, I'd strongly suggest contacting and buying from Canada RAM sells RAM memory for Apple Macintoshes in Canada - DIMMs, SODIMMs, for MacBook, MacPro, iMac, G4, G5, PowerBook, Mini

Actually an ehmac.ca member and great company to deal with.
Yup. One of the 1st spots i clicked to look around. But might look locally seeing i'd be charged a bit more than I expected + shipping on top of that.

But thx.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
A macbook unibody.. Which is an aluminium 08 or white 09 only supports 8gb max in 2x4gb configuration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts