Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a 512MB module for my 12" PB. I know there are lots of places to get them online, and at good prices. However, this place is 5 minutes away from me:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/memory.html

They have a KingMax module, (2700) for $121. The price is great. Would anyone reccomend NOT buying this RAM for my machine? Anyone do business with them before?

Do you think this would be classified as "generic", or "name brand" RAM?

It would be so much easier to just pop in after work and pick this up, rather than order online. Most other retailers in the area can't even come close, price wise.

Any input, yay or nay, would be great.

Peter

[ January 27, 2004, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: maximusbibicus ]

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i recall the old adage;
"if it's too good to be true, it usually is."
why don't you ask them for a 30 day money back guarantee in case the RAM doesn't work.
you may have to let them install it for the guarantee to apply

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
It should be fine. That's very low for current RAM prices. Probably not a big seller for them.
I'd grab it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Should Be Fine. Price is good but believe it or not not great. Open market price for this config is has been driven to around $85 USD. Your powerbook will take PC 2100/266 and the market price for this is $79 USD.

It is quarter end for the big boy chip manufacturers (Samsung, Micron, infineon) and they are blowing out inventories to module makers. Have been for 2 weeks to reduce inventories. Happens every quarter except in times of allocation.

My advice is to take advantage now if you can.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have bough many sticks of ram from the Canada Computer store located on College Street here in Toronto and out of the 20 or so times that I did only once did I have a problem. Because they are a PC store and not an Apple store they cannot guarantee their ram will work in a mac. The one time I had a problem I went back to the store within an hour and asked to try another brand name (manufacturer) of the same specification ram. They wanted ten dollars for restocking fee, but did not apply that to me because I had the receipts for all the ram I had bought there over the past years, and they wanted to keep my business. So buyer beware you may not have the same I luck I've had with this store.
It's hard to resist the lure of cheap prices, like Macdoc said grab it while you can.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up the RAM, and it is recognized by the system. Speed isn't a huge difference as of yet.

I haven't put it through its paces though.

Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.