Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Mac Pro 1,1 original Quad Core 3.0 with 2 empty slots crying out to be filled. Looking to buy either 4GB (2x2GB) or 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM. Specs:

Matched set PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240-Pin FB-DIMM with Apple approved heat sink.

Prefer in-person transaction. Hoping to find a seller within 50kms of midtown Toronto (Yonge & Eglinton).

Thank you for looking.
For fastest reply, please email or phone: 416-875-two zero zero zero (cell).
arne AT sympatico DOT ca

·
Registered
378 Posts
Go 8gb... MORE POWER!! Also check out canadaram... Cheapest place I've found for ram

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
I say get the max. In this case if you can afford 8GB I say go with 2 sticks of 4GB.

Finding used ram on the other hand may be hard. I looked for a bit in Ottawa and only found one seller asking $100 for two sticks of 512MB. Seeing as I could get new for less I have no idea what the seller was thinking. I ended up ordering from CanadaRAM and got it quickly, so I'd suggest looking into CanadaRAM and getting new ram.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go 8gb... MORE POWER!! Also check out canadaram... Cheapest place I've found for ram

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I say get the max. In this case if you can afford 8GB I say go with 2 sticks of 4GB.

Finding used ram on the other hand may be hard. I looked for a bit in Ottawa and only found one seller asking $100 for two sticks of 512MB. Seeing as I could get new for less I have no idea what the seller was thinking. I ended up ordering from CanadaRAM and got it quickly, so I'd suggest looking into CanadaRAM and getting new ram.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks for the CanadaRAM tip guys. It would be great to add 8GB, but not sure I can afford it right now. The Mac Pro has 4GB in it so even if I get only 4GB additional, the total will be 8GB.

The most RAM intensive app on it will be Photoshop CS3 Extended. No video editing — yet (LOL). The internal HDDs are one 1.5TB for everything and one 1TB back-up with a second partition as a PS Scratch disc. Both are WD, 7200RPM, 64MB cache. For SuperDuper back-ups, there are two 2TB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro externals backed up daily and rotated off-site . OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Comments and suggestions from esteemed EhMac members about running Photoshop with this set-up are welcome.

Thank you.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had 5GB, which I seemed to be maxing out on everyday activities, so I went for all or nothing and went up to 21GB. I haven't had a need to check the activity monitor since then. Will look tonight and will see how much I seem to be using.

It's too bad RAM for a Mac pro isn't cheap...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
OWC (MacSales) is a fine company, we deal with them. And our 4 GB kits (2x2G) 667 MHZ FB-DIMM are $6 cheaper, 8 GB kits (4x2G) $18 cheaper, in Canadian $, and without any over-border warranty hassles (we fulfill the Certified brand warranty here in Victoria).

Their 8 GB (2x8G) kit is a bit cheaper than ours, but it comes out a bit more expensive after shipping and US $ exchange fees on your charge card. (even with the Can$ at par, the credit card will charge you 4.5% in fees, about $14 on a $300 purchase)

·
Premium Member
42,831 Posts
I have the same box with 10 GB in it. If Photoshop ever bogs, I believe it's more related to the HD than the RAM at this point--Activity Monitor show plenty of RAM to spare when PhotoShop is running full tilt. I'm going to pop a Velociraptor or something equally fast into the machine next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts