Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with the MacMaven in the Mac Consortium at the Computer Purchasing Center here at MUN, and he said that a new iMac could be purchased and delivered within three weeks. The only difference would be that it would have to be a base model of iMac, with everything added in to the system. The only difference would be the RAM. A built-to-order Mac from Apple Canada would have the 1Gig of RAM with two 512 dimm chips. The other Mac, which would be reconfigured here at MUN would have the original 256RAM chip and a 512RAM chip added. The difference would be 256RAM.

My Mac question is if this is going to prove to be problematic if using iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto? I might consider Final Cut Express at some point, but for now, I just want to learn the "ways" of this computer.

Any suggestions or advice??? I have money for either solutions, although in the built to order situation, Apple supplies the RAM, which drives up the cost. I could utilize the difference in price to buy a scanner, but my main concern would be for the RAM not being at a maximum level. Nor am I that concerned about the speed, in that waiting for 2 minutes for some application, rather than 1 minute 12 seconds is, in my opinion, not at all problematic.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
if the only difference is the 256 mb of ram, how much is the price difference between the apple machine and the MUN machine (if i can use those terms)
AND
then ask yourself how important is applecare on the whole mac as opposed to 95% of it.

if the peace of mind is worth the delta in price the
answer = apple mac
else
answer = MUN mac
end

run buy_imac(answer)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
macspectrum, the basic model + and extra 512RAM + an Airport Express Card = $3261 in total. From the Apple Store Canada, the same machine, with two 512RAM dimms and a Bluetooth card is $4218. So, it's nearly $1000 Can. I was thinking that the Epson 3200 that Macdoc rates highly (and I value his opinions quite highly), will be apx. $750 after tax and shipping are included.

I just want to know if the loss of 256Megs of RAM will influence the performance of what I want to do with this iMac. I have a sense that it won't, but I am asking the knowledgeable Mac Mavens throughout ehMacLand to confirm or reject my speculation.

[ April 24, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Dr.G. ]

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Dr. G.,
why don't you just have the MUN store replace the 256mb DIMM with 2 x 512mb DIMMs

i don't think it would add up to $1,000
you could ask for a credit for the 256 DIMM
OR
keep the DIMM and sell it online to recoup some of your cost

i think you can have your cake and eat it too

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
Peter don't speculate on what NEITHER of you know.

A) It's a 2700 sodimm in the bottom slot
B) It's a standard 2700 512 in the top slot which is only accessible by a complete motherboard removal.

Dr. G - get the base model with the Airport card and nothing else - email me for the rest of the info ;)
But don't do anything firm until we've spoken by email.

To answer your question "won't matter a tinkers damn". :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
117,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Macdoc, I think you are "on the money" re your analysis. MUN Mac technicians will not violate the warrenty on the iMac by doing a full-replacement. Inserting one 512RAM chip is what they are suggesting.

I shall email you for your extended info. Merci.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts