Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it wothwhile to invest in a hardware controller for a RAID0 or is the Apple software enough?

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Sonnet cards are great and work really well. I was just pointed out that the company ACARD is the company that Sonnet buys their cards and chipsets from for their own use by dcyyz.

You can purchase them from the manufaturer for cheaper, plus they have a 4 Channel RAID Card. I am going to check them out the next time I need to get with a cheaper RAID solution for a client. The bonus with this card as opposed to the sonnet ones is that they do RAID formatting of 0, 1 and 0+1 which is a huge benefit for speed + redundancy when you need it the most. The Sonnets while they offer speed do not offer the level higher of 0+1 RAIDING.

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
That's correct and we finally have inexpensive drives to meet the original idea

There are a number of levels.
Most common are
Level 0 - striped - uses two drives ( or more ) to combine the read and write speeds - generally scales up - 2 drives are twice the speed of 1 and 4 drives with big caches gets very serious :eek: This is a good deal since you get both twice the speed and twice the space BUT you must maintain a RAID Level 0 cuz if either drive fails or you get serious corruption your data is sliced toast.

Level 1 - which mirrors two ( or more ) drives gains no speed or space but reduces risk of drive failure as both drives have exactly the same information. Downside is that if one drive has a corrupt file then so does the other - 1 hour auto backups instead of mirroring can reduce the likelihood of that. You know that 100 page Quark doc that simply WON'T open....omigawd :eek:
As mentioned elewhere there are combos of 1 and 0 to give speed and safety.

Level 3 is spanning - 2 or more drives in one volume. Not in use much.

Level 4&5 are akin to voodoo where the information is spread across the drives ( min 3 and then it scales up almost indefinitely ) in such a manner that if any one drive fails the array can be recreated from the remaining drives by replacing the failed one.
Always found it spooky.

No speed gain but close to ultmate safety and used mostly for 24/7 server set ups in scsi with redundant power supplies and hot replaceable drives in trays, email or pager auto alerts.
Typical 600-800 gig rig around $20k with a hardware interface, all the toys and the spare drive in place already.

With 300 gig single drives around a set of 4 of those both mirrored and striped looks appealing at under $2k. :cool:
That said 73 and 150 gig scsi are designed to run 24/7 - IDE drives are not - the reason IBM cited for dropping out of the cheap drive game......so perhaps 6 x 300 are a good idea ;)

Right now tho the best speed bump in the world is to drop a pair of 8 meg cache drives in your Mac and stripe them,
OS9 OR OSX but you can't switch back and forth.
A G5 owner who doesn't do it right off the bat never sees what their machine can do. Twice the space, twice the speed - = cheap thrills. :cool:
But remember - maintain your directories and back up or you'll trekking to us with a :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'd like to get a RAID going in my MDD. Now, since I have two bays on ATA100, and two on ATA33, would I be able to have a mix of drive in the RAID on the different speed buses? Would it default to the slowest, like I know it defaults to the smaller hard drive size if they are different sizes. Also, Apple's software says that it is not recommended to have your startup disk on the RAID. Why? If so, I was thinking about having my original 60gig for my startup disk, and then get another 80 gig to match the one I have now and RAID those for my film work...but would I not notice that much of a difference because the disk with my applications is not part of the RAID?

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I saw a little blurb on the XServe RAID in MacWorld. They said the latest version had improved redundancy in the system, but they noted there was still no redundancy in the RAID controllers themselves, i.e. if one of those died the system would be down. Kinda makes you think, eh?
Cheap, spooky thrills is right. Wish I had a budget for a desktop - I'd go out of my way to become a RAIDer.
Guess I'll have to settle for watching Scooby Doo re-runs <g>

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Alright all you RAID freaks, answer me these:

1/ Forget IDE and use SCSI only?

2/ We have 2 (soon to be four) FCP workstations - what do we need to set up a shared RAID video capture array? :eek:

3/ On older Macs (pre-G3) in which we can fit multiple drives (say, 2) is it worth it (or just really cool) to set up an internal SCSI array? Much of a performance boost (since we're just not going to shell out for G3 or G4 upgrades).

M

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
2/ We have 2 (soon to be four) FCP workstations - what do we need to set up a shared RAID video capture array?
best to create a server an put the RAID into it
that way all users can share over the network
all data is backed up (i assume RAID 1) and you should reduce the workstations to nothing more than repositories for applications

burn CDs with the app's for each wkstn and keep a CD of fonts

if a workstation dies, you can easily re-create it and the work stays on the server and as such not panics

you shoud however, put a UPS /line stabilizer and tape backup on the server to best protect the investment

also, the server allows for any wkstn. to work on any files - no more sneaker net

also allows you to wipe the wkstn. clean every 6 months or so and keep them in tip top shape

IMHO

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
MacSpectrum,

I'm looking for a little more of the nitty-gritty here... as in, fine, we set up a server for storage.. how do we connect? WIll mounting a drive via Ethernet (100bt or 1000bt?) provide sufficient throughput for video capture and playback, particularly if multiple workstations are making use of the array?

It would seem to me that only a fast SCSI connection would be sufficient - but how do you share a SCSI external RAID across four workstations?

M

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
if you are using pre-G3 macs, for video capture, then 1000 Mb ethernet is not an option

video edtiing on pre-G3 is a tall order

how much data are we talking about here?

i think that the price of a video server for 4 machines would be more expensive than RAID for each unit, but there are tradeoffs

IDE RAID using good drives and a good RAID card would be much less expensive than SCSI

for video you will need to Stripe the drives for performance
regular de-fragmentation and optimization will also be necessary so keep the drives as clean as possible

bang vs. buck

the "I" in RAID doesn't stand for "Inexpensive SCSI"

backup is another matter

[ October 15, 2003, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: macspectrum ]

·
Registered
503 Posts
I must confess this RAID stuff is confusing me.

Maybe you can answer me this:

I'm weeks away from having the cash to buy a 1.25 dual G4. I plan to do a lot of video work. Would a RAID set-up be beneficial. If so, what do I need to do it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts