Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading my external hard drive, and would like to upgrade to more drives, preferably in a 4 bay enclosure that I can install drives of different drives myself. My question however is this, are there RAID settings that allow each of the four drives in the enclosure to mount independently of each other, and not as one large drive, nor as two and the other two being mirrored.

This is the enclosure I have in mind to purchase possibly, I will be using a Sonnet Tempo SATA expresscard to use the hdd array in SATA:

Canada Computers - Hard Drive Enclosures > RAID Enclosures : Mediasonic HFR2-S3B 4-Bay RAID 0/1/3/5/10 Enclosure, USB 2.0, eSata, Firewire 400 & 800.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That enclosure appears to not support "single" mode (non-RAID). There is anothe case made by mediasonic that is much cheaper but looks the same that does support single mode. But no RAID opptions.
IMO: I'd get the RAID one and set the enclosure to RAID-10 and load it up with 4 2Tb drives. I've had a number of HD go tits up on me in the past that I would do a redundent backup system.
PS: I have a 2-bay mediasonic RAID that I'm using as a NAS server. It a solid device. Don't expect any costumer support, but that's why you joined the ehMac community, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that is why I joined the forum. So you are saying that the cheaper Mediasonic enclosure has support for individual drive mounting? I understand that that one has no RAID so maybe that's exactly what that enclosure is meant to do.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yep, that is why I joined the forum. So you are saying that the cheaper Mediasonic enclosure has support for individual drive mounting? I understand that that one has no RAID so maybe that's exactly what that enclosure is meant to do.
I agree. The cheaper one appears to just mount the individual drives separately. let us know how it goes.
Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts