Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Mac Edition Radeon 9800 Pro for my PowerMac G5 1.8GHz(4 DIMM)

The cards needs additional power from the computer. Is there a connector in the computer to plug it in to or dows it work without additional power.

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Generally power is pulled from a Y adapter to the optical drive.

I assume you bought a retail box version. There was an OEM version with ADC that did not need board power.

ATI says the Y adapter is included.

I think there were two versions of this card - one G5 only and one G4 and G5.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased it from ebay. So all I received was the card itself. Do I need to add a Y adapter so I can split the power from the Optical Drive? I Have never installed a Graphics card in a PowerMac only have I ever done it on a PC.

Mac Edition Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB- It says in the eBay ad it will work with
G4/G5

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
G4/G5 means it's a reatil card and yes you will need the y adapter - cheap. Get one with longish cables tho.

There should be a 4 pin socket on the card..

Take a photo of the card and upload it- the socket - that will confirm it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the 4-pin socket is there. So i just need to go and get the cable. Thank-you for your help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed the card and installed what I thought were the correct drivers,but when i turn the computer on I get no picture. I see the card has power b/c the fan is spinning.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the ebay item it is a mac edition. I cannot get an image to see the profiler.

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
YOu should not need drivers.

Try Command Option PR - let it go through a couple of boots - that will reset the video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.