Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fidel Castro, Cuba's leader of revolution, dies at 90

Fidel Castro, Cuba's former president and leader of the Communist revolution, has died aged 90, his brother has said.

"The commander in chief of the Cuban revolution died at 22:29 hours this evening (03:29 GMT Saturday)," President Raul Castro said.​
(BBC)​

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
I thought it was click-bait on another site. For the sake of the Cuban people, I hope this allows some impetus for a re-set and improved relations between Cuba and the US.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,021 Posts
I was in 5th grade when he came to power. Thoughts of Castro and Cuba truly hit our conscious radar during the Cuban missile crisis.

"For the sake of the Cuban people, I hope this allows some impetus for a re-set and improved relations between Cuba and the US. " Agreed, mi amigo. The US lifting it's embargo could be a good start. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Trudeau is an idiot - celebrating a terrorist butcher - who over threw a government and killed, jailed his citizens - of course trudeau looks up to Castro - Castro dying on black Friday, a day dedicated to capitalism, is icing on the cake.

Sadly Castro's brother is a mad man as well, plus has a son who can't wait to dictate.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
macintosh doctor, respectfully (a notion you apparently lack), you have no idea what you're talking about.

Over the years I've had loooong debates with folks here in ehMac (go have a look). I won't regurgitate it here, nor will I waste my time with people who are unwilling to make an honest effort to evaluate Fidel's legacy. Reactionary, ideological rants are not helpful to any discourse.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it was click-bait on another site.
Me too. I received a mobile notification while at a party. This has been reported so many times over the decades, those of us with ties to Cuba know enough to corroborate anything like that news.

For the sake of the Cuban people, I hope this allows some impetus for a re-set and improved relations between Cuba and the US.
IMHO, that ain't gonna happen. The ideologues like Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and her ilk will only be emboldened. "One Castro down, one more to go" is their mantra. And with Trump coming into the White House, I'm not optimistic.

Improved relations between Cuban and the US depend entirely on the US to change its insane policies toward this tiny country of 11-million people.

It's never been about human rights, it's always been about Cuba's freeing itself of U.S. control. Any expression of concern by Washington for the "rights" of Cuban citizens to be "free" is simply cover for the desire to once again have the Cuban government do what the USA desired, to have it within America's sphere of influence. Cuba has always attempted to dialogue with the US to seek a normalization of relations. Its the USA that has consistently refused to come to the table and talk like a responsible, mature, state.

Cuba has never put an economic blockade upon the people of the USA.

Cuba never invaded U.S. territory and killed its citizens.

Cuba did not conduct biological warfare against U.S. farms.

Cuba did not attempt to assassinate (in the order of hundreds of incidents) US government leaders.

Cuba did not send or support terrorist groups acting on US soil.

Cuba did educate, feed, and care for the health of its citizens. It did spread out the limited resources of the country to all. It did pursue political and economic alliances with countries of its own choosing to ensure its survival in the face of superpower-strength aggressions. That's enough to get you on any U.S. President's hit list.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
macintosh doctor, respectfully (a notion you apparently lack), you have no idea what you're talking about.
You are leaving out a great deal of detail of his wake of bodies and repression in Castro's paradise of repression.
Abolition of Private property, Confiscation of Private property - imprisonment of thousands with an opinion.
I am sure those who would attempt to float a truck as a life raft to flee Cuba, face death in the open seas did it because Castro was so amazing.

I will not celebrate the death of evil dictator like our idiot Trudeau.. sorry.
enjoy your salty tears and fake glorification of Castro..

Castro's rule was state ownership of human beings.. which was slavery
And that free medical care and education only cost 200 000+ lives and countless human rights abuses. Awesome sauce. Good to see people know how to prioritize

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
Whatever ones feelings about Castro it is wrong to ignore who it was that he helped overthrow. Batista was every bit as repressive a dictator as Castro and far more corrupt.

"I believe that there is no country in the world including any and all the countries under colonial domination, where economic colonization, humiliation and exploitation were worse than in Cuba, in part owing to my country's policies during the Batista regime. I approved the proclamation which Fidel Castro made in the Sierra Maestra, when he justifiably called for justice and especially yearned to rid Cuba of corruption. I will even go further: to some extent it is as though Batista was the incarnation of a number of sins on the part of the United States. Now we shall have to pay for those sins. In the matter of the Batista regime, I am in agreement with the first Cuban revolutionaries. That is perfectly clear."—U.S. President John F. Kennedy, interview with Jean Daniel, 24 October 1963

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Whatever ones feelings about Castro it is wrong to ignore who it was that he helped overthrow. Batista was every bit as repressive a dictator as Castro and far more corrupt.
The embargo didn’t turn Cuba into a hellhole whose main tourism industry is inviting progressive Canadian pedophiles to rape its children. Castro did that with help from the dead guy on the red t-shirts. 'One of the greatest benefits of the revolution is that even our prostitutes are college graduates,' Castro told Oliver Stone

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
IMHO, that ain't gonna happen. The ideologues like Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and her ilk will only be emboldened. "One Castro down, one more to go" is their mantra. And with Trump coming into the White House, I'm not optimistic.
Raul has shown some willingness to move on US goals as well. That would be necessary to thaw things out a little.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Raul has shown some willingness to move on US goals as well. That would be necessary to thaw things out a little.
For liberal progressives and other leftists, America must forever apologize for and feel guilty about every mistake made in its past, but Cuba? All is forgotten and forgiven, heck, even justified! Funny how that works.

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
For liberal progressives and other leftists, America must forever apologize for and feel guilty about every mistake made in its past, but Cuba? All is forgotten and forgiven, heck, even justified! Funny how that works.
Just hoping Raul might be less authoritarian.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everything macintosh doctor has just posted shows me quite clearly that there's no sense in attempting to educate him. Some minds are incapable of moving beyond what they think they know, regardless of reality.

I'll simply say that I'm quite confident that after more than two decades of Cuba-focused research, 19 research / education visits to the island, having visited communities and Cubans from Pinar del Río in the West to Santiago de Cuba in the East and many points between, to longtime adult friendships with Cubans both on and off the island, and having completed Doctoral work on Human Development in Cuba, I daresay - if you'll permit a brief moment of suppression of my humility - that I have a little bit more of a clue about Castro and Cuba than someone who believes that Cuba has invited "progressive Canadian pedophiles to rape its children."

Go away, little troll, back to your regularly scheduled worshipping of The Donald and his Beauty Queen Appointees of the Apocalypse.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Just hoping Raul might be less authoritarian.
doubt it very much it is all smoke and mirrors..
Cuba is your friend until they have used you up to achieve what they wanted then will dispose of you in whatever manor they see fit.. i know many who do business in cuba - nothing has changed at all. Corruption is still alive and well.
Vaughan man jailed in Cuba maintains he's innocent: family | CTV Toronto News

Remember when you vacation in cuba, you are guilty until proven guilty. How many Canadians are in jail for just being passengers in taxis who were in accidents.

but here is hoping the second Castro of Terror is less deviating than the first.

Again I will not celebrate a murdering thug's legacy - who killed thousands and oppressed 1000s during his life, i am embarrassed that we have an idiot Trudeau - speaking highly of the murderous butcher that Castro was.

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
The embargo didn’t turn Cuba into a hellhole whose main tourism industry is inviting progressive Canadian pedophiles to rape its children. Castro did that with help from the dead guy on the red t-shirts. 'One of the greatest benefits of the revolution is that even our prostitutes are college graduates,' Castro told Oliver Stone
I am sure that Epstien's yacht spent many days anchored in Cuban harbours procuring for his neo-con clientele.

Seriously you need to find more intelligent news sources than Faux News and All Lies O'Reilly.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
let us ask those imprisoned how they feel? let us ask those in exile, who's property was taken and lives destroyed how they feel?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 82 Posts