Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few years I had been purchasing Quicktax for the Mac although last year they kinda peeved me off, ordered the software on line using my credit card, they billed it immediately then didn't ship for 6 weeks..... :rolleyes:
But when it came it worked fine eventhough it was kind of expensive at approx. $40.. Now this year they want $79.. :mad:
So I'm thinking of going back to Grifftax which I used to get 5 or 6 years ago until one year I had nothing but troubles with printing the report (Pre eFile era) and they kept telling me it was my problem :(
Grifftax will be approx $40 this year...
Anybody out there with experience with Grifftax in the last years?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where do you see Quicktax for Macs at $79.00? I just visited their website and they advertise at $49.95 to be shipped Jan 31.

boomer

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'll be damned Boomer you are absolutely correct...
:confused: Not sure where I was looking or if I was half sleeping but all I could find the other day is TurboTax Premier Home & Business for Mac for Tax Year 2003 at $79....

Never the less, still would like to find out if anybody has had experience with Grifftax in last few years? Its still a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used GriffTax last year, and for about four or five years before that, or whenever it was that Icicle was discontinued. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We've used Grifftax for the last 4 years without problems. They operate out of Ottawa and are all-Canadian and, I believe, all-Mac.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feed back, I believe I'll go back to them this year.
They started to do Windose Tax software a few years back so I hope they continue with the Mac version in the future. Nice to have a competing product.
John

·
Registered
778 Posts
I switched to griftax last year. Good product, good price, unlimited family members.

so long to quicktax

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
If it is for personal income taxes, I would suggest a serious look at the web tax programs...my g/f and I have left QuickTax (because of the pricing) and gone with UFile.ca. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First I hear of it IronMac, looks very interesting in deed.
Yes it is for my family's personnal reports so it fits perfectly and at half the price of Grifftax at $19.95 for a family...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
You're quite welcome...I had to choose between UFile.ca and H&R Block's website. I went with UFile because it seemed to cover an RRSP issue that I was having at the time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is another thread on income tax packages on the troubleshooting forum.

My experience and some other - griff=grief :rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been using Grifftax since 1997 and
have never had a problem.

I complete a few returns for others (and, yes, claim the income....so I can write off some expenses) and file their returns electronically without any problems.

Being as how I need to complete mine in paper form, for various reasons, I like having the options of e-filing and printing returns.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've used Grifftax since 1997, and haven't had any problems either. It works like a charm!

If anything, I've noticed it's taking longer and longer for the Mac version to be certified for netfile. Their website has stated that they've been on track for netfile certification since March 1, but still nothing as I post this. You can't go wrong with them besides that.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I used Grifftax 3(?) years ago and I didn't like it as much as Quicktax. But I hate the way Quicktax soaks the Mac users. I've used Quicktax since '95.

I don't like the idea of using an online tax service, somehow the idea of putting all my financial info on somebody else's hard drive just doesn't fill me with confidence.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I've received my refund a while back already... Spent it also

Just wanted to close this one...
I was going to go with UFile.ca but then somebody told me that Brian Costello was somehow involved with it... :eek:
And my own negative experiences with Grifftax and the fact that it is now also leaving the Mac platform high and dry with one expesive product and switching to Windoze procucts...
I decided to go with Quicktax... Had no issues with it what so ever.. Hated every minute of using it however due to the highway robery... $63 after taxes and shipping for three reports... :mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't feel so bad. I ran into an old buddy , an accountant, who offered to do my taxes for me. I sat with him for 2 hours chatting while he did my business and personal return and my wife's return. When we were done he handed me a bill for $450. :eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
After 10 years with QuickTax I finally got ticked off enough to try something else. Based on feedback in ehMac posts, I've been using uFile for this year's returns.

So far I've done three returns for family members and am really pleased with uFile's ease and speed, and not having to deal with the increasing expensive, buggy and OS challenged QuickTax. Perhaps because uFile is based in Montreal, they also seem better at dealing with Quebec tax reporting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been using QuickTax for five years now, and I am satisfied by the product. As a business owner, I think $49.95 (not incl. tax) is a good price, especially since I do my own business taxes with QuickTax. I find it very convenient that the software carries forward all my capital cost allowance data, etc. from year to year.

But I could see the price of QuickTax a little steep for someone who only needs to do his/her personal income tax. That's for sure.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Here's another option. Peel Technologies - a one-man band, as best I can tell - has an Excel spreadsheet for taxes. It's not perfect on a Mac since some navigation macro buttons don't work and it's paper-file only. But, it handles everything I've thrown at it, it's free to try and the price is only $10 for unlimited returns.

I send him $10 each year just to cheer him on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts