Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd give the group a heads up that although Intuit's Quicktax for Mac was supposed to be available the week of January 15th, its shipping date has now been pushed back to Feb. 28! When I asked why they aren't letting customers know this--especially one's like myself who purchased it last month and have a receipt saying it will ship the week of Jan. 15th--their reply was "no comment."

Does anyone know of another Mac product for completing Canadian tax returns?

Thanks-

·
Registered
5 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamied:
Does anyone know of another Mac product for completing Canadian tax returns?

Thanks-
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GriffTax
www.grifftax.com

Unfortunately, it isn't ready either. The website says it will be ready in January. But's already the end of January...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Intuit does have an alternative to their tax software.

Intuit QuickTaxWeb.

I used this last year with great ease, no errors and got a refund. Worked flawlessly from my Mac even though it didn't state that the MacOS was supported.

They sent my a reminder this year and they are sweetening the deal. If you don't get a refund you don't pay. This combined with the fact that you can complete the entire tax preparation process, and save it for later, and not pay anything until you file your return (via printing the return or submitting electronically). So you can judge for yourself the effectiveness and comprehensiveness of the software and only pay when you're satisfied with the result. You also don't pay if you (and your spouse, if married) have a total combined net income of $20,000 or less. So this is a great idea for students or part-time workers.

It's only $20. I filed thorugh NETFILE last year using it and got my return in less than 2 weeks.

I, like you, couldn't find any Canadian tax software that would run on my Mac. Then I came across this. When I thought about it it made more sense actually. What's the point of buying a piece of boxed software solely for tax returns when it's a one time use commodity. You just have to replace it the next year because the tax laws are always changing from year to year. Well maybe it makes sense if you're doing multiple returns but for most people it's usually only one or 2. But even if you're doing your's and your spouse's return they only charge an extra 5 bucks to do both, and if you throw in your teenaged kids' returns, chances are they make less than $20Gs a year and their returns are free.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like a salesman! Sorry, but you asked for alternatives and this one really worked for me.

If you're interested you can check it out here... http://www.quicktaxweb.ca

Cheers,
Macman.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by •MACMAN•:
Intuit does have an alternative to their tax software.

Intuit QuickTaxWeb.
[...]
What's the point of buying a piece of boxed software solely for tax returns when it's a one time use commodity. You just have to replace it the next year because the tax laws are always changing from year to year.

Cheers,
Macman.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the suggestion Macman.
(Also thanks to Dingem for the grifftax suggestion.)

I'm a little reluctant to use something like QuickTaxWeb because, to my understanding, there is no guarantee as to how long the 2002 online tax software will be accessible. Suppose, for example, that when doing my 2003 tax return a year from now, I find that I made an error on my 2002 return. Will QuickTaxWeb 2002 still be available to allow me to re-edit and send an adjusted return? Will it save and allow me access to, and later import the data from, my 2002 tax return in regards to carried over depreciation, unsed RRSP contribution room etc.?

Having said that, I do agree that for someone with a very simple return that it is a great solution. I've already let a few of my friends know about it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

J.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your tax info stays live and online with Intuit (if you choose to) and editable for approx. 2 years. For example, your 2002 tax return info stays online for all of 2003 and most of 2004. It would be deleted from the server in December 2004. You can, however, download your tax info in a few formats... .pdf, .q01, and .tax, so your info can be recalled later in other software programs.

As far as using carried over amounts here is a clip from the FAQ section... "Your data from one year can be used in the next year as carry-forward information, which will be used to start your return. "

If you have any specific questions give them a call at 1-780-702-4515.

Hope that was helpful.

Cheers,
Macman.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ok rant time here I have bought Quick Tax for years for my daughter to process her family and my m-i-l taxes My personal tax returns have been processed by a professional accountant that handled my business returns for many years.
Every year I got a request in snail mail to purchase the Windows version despite/inspite that I had never ever purchased anything but the Mac version.. Note that they charged my credit card in November but did not ship until Feb. Last year I was so ticked off that I said ***** them and bought the version at First Ave (my local mac dealer ) on the basis that they should indeed have the profit dollars ( however meager) . This year I did not get the Windows version mailing but a .....ready boys and girls .... a complete FRENCH mailing .......sorry Intuit but that has never been my language of choice . This company is completely marketing incompetent but some how has managed to win a Top 50 award in Canada from some Accounting Company
I will be going to Grifftax if only to express my complete disgust with this company ....end of rant Thank you for listening :)

Comments welcome

·
Registered
312 Posts
Brian, just to add another absurdity to your rant -- I, too, got my "get Quicktax 2003" mailing in French. I called Intuit to say I had mistakenly received the French mailout and the woman on the phone said "Do you have a Macintosh?" I asked how she knew and she laughed and said, "Oh, all the Macintosh people got French mailings!"

They obviously think we Mac users really are a distinct society :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
How do you argue with idiots My guess would be that next year they will drop support for the Mac Platform
My suggestion drop them now and go to Grifftax who wants to support our platform I know that I will I hate to cut my local Mac outlet out of the meager profit dollars that they might earn on Quick Tax but I refuse to support a company that cannot even keep the Mac/PC communities separate in their data base and then heap insult on injury by mailing ALL Mac users a French Mailing and laughing about it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts