Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a quick question. Are there any Canadian retailers (more specifically in Montreal,) that may take an old Mac as an exchange for a new one?

I'm looking at a new Mac Pro to take the place of my old PowerMac G5. It's a DP 2.5GHZ watercooled with 3.5GB of ram and up to 360GB of hard disk space. I've seen them go for 2,000$ but I'd prefer to give it as a downpayment on the purchase of my new system instead of trying to go out and sell it!

Any help? Shop names? Etc...

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Realizing your stated preference, you should still compare what you might receive for selling your current system outright against any potential trade-in value. I know I'd be curious.
That'll definately be an option. I still would like to see if it's possible to just give it in to the shop. I've dealt with selling computers and peripherals on this site, although it's easy to find a buyer it's always a pain to make sure the product is properly packaged and ready to go. Also wondering whether they get it or not, stressing over the few days hoping they haven't lost it during delivery.

Anyways, they're both an option :)

Thanks for your post!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
But you have to remember that whatever a shop offers in trade, they will need to lower in order to let them sell it at a fair market value. I think that the general rule of thumb is that they will offer approximately 50% of what they will sell it for used.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
50%?! Ouf... I'll put it up for sale to taste it tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
offer approximately 50% of what they will sell it for used.
that's surely not our rule of thumb - that's way over the top as a blanket statement - not even close. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
YMMV

But of course the seller has to recoup the labour of testing and fixing the machine, any replacement parts, and the cost of advertising and selling.

As a percentage, since the time and effort to take in, text, fix and sell a machine is relatively constant no matter what model it is, the markup required for an old, inexpensive machine is going to be much higher when expressed as a % of selling price.

For example, I wouldn't pay $10 for a pre-G4 desktop, because the cost of handling and selling would be higher than the selling price.

It wouldn't be as high of a markup on a new model machine in good condition, obviously.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
that's surely not our rule of thumb - that's way over the top as a blanket statement - not even close. :eek:
Okay, on the machine in question, what would your ballpark be for someone who wants to trade one in on the purchase in question?

You're not going to offer them $2000 if that is the going selling price. I doubt that you would offer them even $1500 for it.

If I had to rethink this and make an educated guess, I'd say a price in the $1200-1300 range would be what you would offer an average machine, perhaps $1400 for one that is immaculate or if you knew you had an immediate buyer for it.

How close am I now?

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
You're low....and HE knows it :D

BTW we sell on differentials. - Cash buy can be a bit lower than trade price.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're all definately wrong, except MacDoc :p

So you know, MacDoc, the local store here offered me 1000$ for my G5!! They're very snobish and don't seem to cherish my business.

I just sent you an email, let's do this :)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
So you know, MacDoc, the local store here offered me 1000$ for my G5!! They're very snobish and don't seem to cherish my business.

I just sent you an email, let's do this :)
I have to agree. If they're offering you that, they obviously don't want your business.

I think you're smart to go with MacDoc if he gives you more than that (which I'm sure he will).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really appreciate his help, I'm definately going with him on this one! I'll be pleased to do more business with him, as well.

Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts