Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to registering my computer parts and now I see they are offering me a little trial subsription. Thought I might as well make use of it...but...

which one do you think would be best for a gal like me?

MacAddict

MacHome

MacWorld

I was leaning towards MacHome but for all I know it totally sucks??!!

No idea...help?

·
Registered
454 Posts
MacAddict, no question bout it.

But if you are leaning towards Machome take that, anything except for Macworld, I got it with a trial subscription and regret it, they stopped sending magazines after the fourth month, though it was supposed to be a year. and started sending me subscription requests quite religiously.

During this there was probably two articles I glanced through, so whats the moral of the story?

AVOID MACWORLD LIKE THE PLAGUE!

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Actually, I get both MacAddict and MacWorld. Each has a different flavor. I like MacAddict because of its attitude and they have some decent articles.

MacWorld has no attitude (kind of bland) but they do have some good articles and they do go in-depth on some things.

MacHome...I've looked through this over the years but it's much too simplistic.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I find MacWorld ultra-conservative while mac-Addict ultra cool....although I wonder who screens the letters they post.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
For new users, MacHome and MacAddict are the better choices. MacHome is a very friendly, down to earth mag with a "family/home office" feel to it. It's the one you would get for your mom.

A lot of the people here consider it a bit dumbed-down, but it really isn't that bad if you're totally unfamiliar with Macs or computers in general.

MacAddict is the one for the more serious Mac user; although the articles are almost always easy to follow, they tend to have a more "college kid/Mac Geek" flavour.

MacWorld is the serious one; Graphics pros and business users rely on it's choice of review subjects to steer them in the right decision when business decisions are made. Not as relevant as it used to be (I wish they would dump that CD and sell it for $6 instead of $10), it's still the best out there if you make money on a Mac. Subscription prices are outrageous on renewal, but the first year isn't too bad.

I would add MacDirectory to the list. Again, a tool for business users, but handy none the less. It's published quarterly, and it's main feature is a list of nearly every Mac software and hardware developer in existance. Need management software for a Pharmacy? They'll tell you who makes it. As an architecture student, you may find at least one issue to be essential. A reference tool, you can get away with buying one issue a year. $10.

If the newsstands where you are get foreign magazines, the British edition of MacWorld is better than the US version. Many articles are identical, but others are exclusive to the UK edition. The British mags tend to have better bundled software (for example, the CD often carries a free, full verison of an application rather than just demos).

It's easy to spot, because, like most UK mags, it's published on larger paper stock. Look at the prices the Brits have to pay and you won't be whining about Mac prices in Canada for a while. About $16. Subscriptions to Canada are available, and for very little more than MacWorld US wants for a renewal.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
MacAddict is brash and a bit childish, but it has considerable technical weight and plenty of good journalism. The CD is well put together and usually pretty useful.

MacHome is for newbies - if you're a newbie, fine (some people are perpetual newbies, even after years, or even decades, of computer ownership) but if you've advanced beyond the newbie stage you'll find it boring.

Macworld is more of a magazine for adults. I get the online version, which is much cheaper than the paper one and comes with an interesting application called Zinio Reader. It's PDF-based, but not interchangeable with Acrobat. You can zoom in and out with single clicks. The faster your Mac, the better the animations of pages turning. Quartz Extreme improves the user experience, too.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I don't read any of them regularly anymore... Have they changed.?

MacAddict became irrelevant with its Saint Jobs can do no wrong attidue and each month became a list of things that would shatter the Mac world to its core.... Yap Yap Yap...

Macworld became boring awhen MacUser folded/got bought by Macworld... It is a joyless review of last months developments...

MacHome Seemed like an easy read with little software politics but is a little light weight on the stuff I am interested in.

None really serve my needs,so I only read them when Something I want to know is covered... I rely on online resourvces and user forums which can distribute opinion and knowledge in a faster and more dynamic fashion.
The time involved in printed magazines means the review is written a month or two before it hits the street...

OS x 10.2.8 was released and pulled in less than 2 days...
Are you going to care when it gets covered in Macworld...

I don't want to sound as negative as I do about Magazines, I enjoy Reading the opinion/Commentary and the reviews do help form opinions and shape buying decisions, but they rarely offer anything I have not already heard about... {I didn't mean to rant here, but it seems I did...}

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I read all of them, but within reason:

MacHome: Once maybe twice a year, every once and a while they have a couple of good reviews.

MacAddict: The first issue really had me with the sophimore humor, but have found it annoying after a while. Good how-to section, but it is kind of hit and miss for your own personal use. (Freakn' Awsome)

MacWorld: Great reviews. Good content, and some how-to's, I tend to rely on there reviews ( 4 and a half Mice out of 5)

Read em' all but I think you guys have been a little hard on MacWorld as it is the best for the long term Mac user.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I swear by MacFormat a euro mac mag, it's expensive but it's thick and PACKED solid with reviews, tests, tips, and standard with 2 CD's.

I find Macaddict repeats itself ALOT from one issue to the next, in fact I only buy it a couple times a year as a result.

MacWorld might as well be a pamplet, it gets thiner every time I see an issue. lord knows what keeps that rag on the shelves...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts