Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had one of these units for a few months now, and I must say I'm pretty impressed with the experience so far. However, I do have a few questions.

1) I haven't calibrated mine yet, and I find that it underestimates my distance pretty consistently by about 10-12 percent. I'm taller than average, so I guess it's because my stride length is consequently a little longer than average. What are ehMacers' experiences pre- and post-calibration? Will I notice a big difference in accuracy? Once calibrated, how accurate does it tend to be?

2) Does anyone know anything about how the Nike+iPod unit works in terms of calculating distance? I assume there are some basic algorithms that govern things like pace and distance compared with average stride length. But I wonder if there are more complex algorithms that can, say, determine how much your stride length increases when you increase your pace (and vice-versa). Just curious.

3) Does anyone else wish that the podcast playlist were available as a Nike+iPod run playlist? I've had to create a separate smart playlist for this purpose. I find podcasts very good for those long slow runs that help improve endurance.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
1) Once calibrated, you will get pretty close to your actual running distance although when i first got mine my problem was that it was overestimating how it ran by 12% lol. The best way to calibrate it is probably run 2 or 3 laps around a 400m track. Make sure you'll be able to run the entire inside track without any deviation whatsoever -- you'd be surprised how much extra distance you run by swerving around obstacles.

2) There's an actual accelerometer in there. If you wanted to run on a treadmill during the winter months, it would say that you've been running for zero km lol.

3) I listen to any old songs, and make sure the fast beat songs are are good intervals as a pick me up, especially the second last song. The first and last should be good warm up songs. There is one particular Nike playlist for sale at the iTunes Store I really like, I'll get it for you later.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: the podcast playlist. I don't use it all the time, just when I don't want to push. But I'll definitely have to check out some of the Nike playlists.

BTW, another thing that blows me away is the Nike+iPod website. It's really well done, and the new Map It feature is very cool.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
BTW, another thing that blows me away is the Nike+iPod website. It's really well done, and the new Map It feature is very cool.
I too love the website and it seems to be adding new features since it's inception. However, I'm always fearful of a server crash and Nike losing all the info. Do you know if there's a way to print out all the details of all of one's runs? Exporting to a spreadsheet would be a bonus.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too love the website and it seems to be adding new features since it's inception. However, I'm always fearful of a server crash and Nike losing all the info. Do you know if there's a way to print out all the details of all of one's runs? Exporting to a spreadsheet would be a bonus.
Good point. Might be something to ask about in the forums on the Nike+ site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts