Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old G4 that I will be putting up for sale soon but I want to be sure any data of mine is cleared off of it. I believe that I can go into Disk Utility and do ....I think it's "erase" to reformat it. I have two questions about this:

first, is it the erase function I want to use and
second, if I use it and the disk is reformatted, will the OS still work? I think all the applications that are loaded onto the machine will be removed but don't know if also the OS will be. I don't know how these things really work.

The G4 specs are:

Apple Power Macintosh G4/500 DP (Gigabit Ethernet) features dual 500 MHz PowerPC 7400 (G4) processors

27 Gig HD with Applications, etc. (the HD I want to be sure my data is off of)
38 Gig HD for Documents. (which actually died)

Thanks for your help!
Deanna

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
If you erase the disk, the OS will also be erased.

If you want to erase, you will have to boot from an OS 9 or OS X CD (up to 10.4), because you can't erase and reformat from the same disk you are using to boot.

If you have that disk, you could use it to reinstall a fresh OS after erasing and reformatting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you erase the disk, the OS will also be erased.

If you want to erase, you will have to boot from an OS 9 or OS X CD (up to 10.4), because you can't erase and reformat from the same disk you are using to boot.

If you have that disk, you could use it to reinstall a fresh OS after erasing and reformatting.

Thanks for explaining that. I'll see if I still have a disk with an OS on it. I think I may.

Out of curiosity, if I do erase the OS, what happens? As in does the machine shut down or something until the boot/install disc goes in?

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
Without using that CD, you can't erase the OS you just started up — Disk First Aid will sense a logical error that will not allow it to begin erasing the operating system that allowed that utility to launch in the first place.

Once you erase/refromat the disk, and then try to boot up, the machine will tell you it can't boot up and needs an operating system CD.

Out of curiosity, if I do erase the OS, what happens? As in does the machine shut down or something until the boot/install disc goes in?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a boot up with the OS boot CD and it installed the OS but I didn't get any option to erase the HD so all of the programs are still there. What did I do wrong? Or is there another step? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
I did a boot up with the OS boot CD and it installed the OS but I didn't get any option to erase the HD so all of the programs are still there. What did I do wrong? Or is there another step? Thanks!
If you boot from the CD, you need to use DISK FIRST AID--from the boot CD--to erase the HD.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you boot from the CD, you need to use DISK FIRST AID--from the boot CD--to erase the HD.
I didn't see any option to do that. It just started installing the OS. Well...it came up with the install window. I didn't know what else to do so I went with it and did the install.

How do I get to Disk First Aid?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
You have to boot the Mac using the CD, so only that version of the OS is running.

When it is running, click on the Installer menu at the top left of the screen.
  1. Click on Disk Utility.
  2. Select the Hard Drive icon and click the First Aid button, and then erase/reformat.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to boot the Mac using the CD, so only that version of the OS is running.

When it is running, click on the Installer menu at the top left of the screen.
  1. Click on Disk Utility.
  2. Select the Hard Drive icon and click the First Aid button, and then erase/reformat.
Okay...I'll give it a-go! ....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay...I'll give it a-go! ....
I can't get it to give me the option to start from the CD. I've tried from Restart and Shutting down completely. It just opens up as usual. I'm using Command R. I've tried to do it right when I hear the music chord and also just after it. Is this too late or too early? I had it work the time before when I did the install of the OS by mistake. I don't know what to do the engage the install CD. Thoughts/suggestions? thx

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
Are you holding down the "C" key as the Mac boots up? That makes it select the CD.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you holding down the "C" key as the Mac boots up? That makes it select the CD.
As in the letter C? No, Tutorials I watched on YouTube said to hold Cmd R and I did get it to work one time. At least I thought that's what I was holding down. So...are you saying to just hold the letter C key? And, do I do it as I'm hearing the musical chime or before or after ? Thanks so much for helping me with this.

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
Hold the letter "C" down the moment you hit "restart." Keep holding it until the CD/DVD takes over and launches the OS!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok!! I got the Mac OS X window with the language options..... ....Found Disk Utility! My "First Aid button, and erase/reformat" are beside each other in the window that opens. It's OS Tiger. I'm guessing I go with just clicking the Erase button beside First Aid? Otherwise my options under First Aid are only verify permissions or disk, repair permissions or disk. I see the Erase option under the erase tab.

It's probably pretty simple ...pick erase... but I don't want to screw this up.

Oh...and in the left menu of disk utility I can click on the hd name but it has it inset below it, too. I'm not sure how to describe it. There's a picture of the drive and beside it, it says: 25.5 GB IBM-DPTA-372730. Below that and inset is another HD pic with "27 gig" beside it. I don't know whether it matters with I choose.

HD pic 25.5 GB IBM-DPTA-372730
HD pic 27 gig.​

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
Yes, hit "erase."

Go with the disk that is shown first in the hierarchy. Your user disk is a subset of the overall mechanical disk as purchased.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay....doing it! And I selected to do the "writing zeros" security option as well. Not the most secure but hopefully good enough. I don't think I really had anything on it but taking some precautions.

I realized this is the computer I had when I joined EhMac in 2005! Bought it used off of ebay! It's still going though I moved on to a G5 and then MBPs.

....17 minutes to go.

thanks for your help. I'm presuming the CD will kick in when the erase process is done.

:)

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
Last time I did this, I used the "writing zeroes" option as well. Yes, the CD OS is still active and you can go on to install a non-personalized version of the OS from there.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ta-Da! It's done! Fantastic!

Thank you again for your help! Have a super weekend!

cheers,
Deanna

·
Premium Member
42,932 Posts
You to Deanna--glad to help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts