Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 15" iMac (G4 800mhz 256mb) a few months ago but i want to go portable to compliment my G5 when i save up enough money to buy one. Anyways I'm looking for a:

iBook 12.1”/ 900MHz PowerPC G3/128MB SDRAM (preferably more)/40GB/Combo

I want to trade my iMac towards it or for it, what kind of deal do you guys think i can get?
I really need to be able to run illustrator, photoshop, and quark on the portable, so maybe i'm not looking for the right notebook. Any info or advice would be great folks! :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
how heavy do you get into design?? I think you'll be fine. Just need hella ram to run PS nicely. iMac trade?? not sure... :confused:

H!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hello,

I would think that your iMac is worth a loaded ibook as a trade.

But take it from me; get a 12 in tibook instead. I found my ibook slow in comparison to my G4 533. I am a graphic designer and am running programs like InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop etc. was not the fastest. And your G5 with crush my G4. The speed difference with drive you mental. Get the tibook.

Save up the extra cash ans wait until you can afford a 12" tibook.
Depending on size, you might want to consider a 15". That way you have more room for you palletes, unless you want super-portable.

Thats just my opinion.

Cheerio.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Nick the iBooks and 12" Powerbooks test surprisingly close.
The 512 L2 cache and good video cards really help the the 700, 800 and 900 iBooks. Loaded RAM is important.
The iBooks can run a second monitor up to 1280x1024 :eek:
Your 533 is a very powerful oox and easily challenges a current 800 chip consumer boxes. It's got immense ram bandwidth and faster bus really make a difference.
Only when you get to the 1.25 gHz 15" would there be significant improvement.
At this point I can't see Apple keeping the 12" Powerbook unless they go to a much faster processor - it just doesn't make sense against say the 14" iBook. It's a tad crowded at the $2k price point right now - somethings going to go.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
Macdoc i sent you an e-mail back.

Just a general question, what exactly is the difference between the tibook and ibook? I'm not completely computer literate yet.
Thanks again people! Everyone is really helpful

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Actually, the 12" with the 1ghz processor is testing very well.. I was looking at benchmarks and it was kickin the iBook's asss.

The iBook could have 800 or 900mhz, but only from a G3.. from my experience using those with OSX can be painfully slow sometimes..

My friend just bought the 800mhz iBook and I must say it's quicker than my Pismo 500mhz was, but definately no contender with the new 12" Powerbook with the 1Ghz G4 processor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just checking out the prices on the iMac I have and the 12" powerbook on the apple site. Both are prettys similar in price. You guys think I could get a straight up trade for a 12" powerbook (used of course)? That seems like the most logical thing to replace the iMac with portability.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to find a straight trade. More than likely you'll have to add a few hundred to the deal, because from what I'm reading over and over the 12" w/867mhz has some problems with overheating, etc.. meanwhile all of the owner reviews I've read thus far on the 1ghz model are very positive, so in my opinion you should trade for one of those... but you're gonna have a hard time finding someone that would want to trade their newly purchased toy.. I think you should just try to sell you iMac and save up until you can buy a new powerbook.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow macdoc is hard to get ahold of...thanks for the advice guys! hopefully i'll be able to get that 12" powerbook by christmas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i saw the new iBooks. AWESOME!
Forget trading anything...i'm just going to buy a new iBook G4 after christmas and keep the iMac.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I was just going to see how you felt about those... again - this is monumental news! Also enamored!

H!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts