Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know anything about unlocking phones, but being an Apple nerd, i desperately want an iphone.

That said, isn't it to rogers advantage to allow Canadians to bring back iPhones from the US and use them on their network.

Not only do they not have to deal with apple, give them a percentage of the profits or cave to any of apple's demands, they have suckers like me ringing up huge data plan bills and switching from telus to rogers.

why wouldn't rogers want black market iphones in canada (or is it grey market?)

that said, just for curiosity sake, is anyone going to buffalo on friday to pick on up? and is it true what i've been reading that legally at&t must unlock a phone if you ask as it's a rule in the US?

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Rogers allows any GSM phone to be used on its network.

It's in their interest to sell the iPhone themselves since many of its features will not work without network support. And of course they can charge for data relevant to the iPhone plan or whatever it is they offer.

One problem with buying foreign handsets in the past has been warranty: most cell manufacturers do not honour warranties for phones bought in other countries. Nokia Canada, for example, knows where your phone was purchased by its serial number. Shipping your phone to (and from) international destinations has its problems, to put it mildly.

In a few weeks you'll know how easy or hard it is to unlock an AT&T iPhone. But their own caveats are that you must be a customer for 90 days, and have a US address. And this only applies to phones that can be unlocked. A few weeks and you'll have an unqualified answer.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I'm not sure how cell phone subsidies work in the US, but it's very possible that cancelling, unlocking, whatever the iPhone from AT&T could cost a boat load of $$$.

In Canada, phones have prices based on contract length, and if you don't want a contract, you pay a lot more for the phone. AT&T and Apple could just say "iPhone - no contract price - $3000" or something similarly outrageous.

Sure, the carrier might be obligated by law to 'unlock for free', but if you sign up for a contract to avoid the 'no contract price' AT&T could turn around and hit you with a 'contract cancellation fee' of some stpuid amount.

I can't imagine Apple or AT&T are going to make it easy to just buy an iPhone and use it on any carrier you want.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
That said, isn't it to rogers advantage to allow Canadians to bring back iPhones from the US and use them on their network.
It may be to their advantage but it may not be possible.

I've used aan iPhone and tried to swap my present SIM card with the iPhone's (both AT&T) and it didn't work. We're told you have to use *specific* cards with the iPhone.
that said, just for curiosity sake, is anyone going to buffalo on friday to pick on up? and is it true what i've been reading that legally at&t must unlock a phone if you ask as it's a rule in the US?
I'll be out front of the 5th Ave store in New York City. :)

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
Confirmed, apparently:
Late breaking news: iPhones AND SIMs locked to AT&T

You'll get this story tomorrow from AT&T, but word has it that iPhone subscriber identification cards -- those little chip-like cards that are standard throughout the GSM mobile phone world -- are NOT interchangeable with other carriers. So if you have a T-Mobile GSM account and somehow get an iPhone in your hands, you won't be able to swap in your SIM card and have your iPhone work on T-Mobile. Apple signed an exclusive deal with AT&T -- and they are using every technology in their arsenal to enforce that exclusivity. Sorry.
Source: Blackfire Marketing

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Apple signed an exclusive deal with AT&T -- and they are using every technology in their arsenal to enforce that exclusivity. Sorry.
Yup - and while it sucks for the consumer, its completely understandable from Apple's and AT&T's POV.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Which is probably coded in the software or firmware to support.

I suppose that still leaves the potential for some hacking, but I think it'll be quite a while before someone figures it out, if at all. Afterall, no one's hacked the iPod firmware yet to let their own games run on it. (only Linux, etc)

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Anyone watch the Activation video yet? Activation is done through iTunes.
Yup - that's why Apple said an iTunes account was needed for activation. They don't want you hanging around the store, trying to get it set up. They also didn't want to have to tie the stores into AT&T's database.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, the iTunes activation requirement is more the point. I'm not entirely sure about how proprietary the SIM cards are, as that's supposed to be a defined standard for the technology (although there have been interoperability issues between different models of phones in the past based on SIM card capacity, rather than design).

However, since the iPhone will apparently be an expensive brick until it's activated with an AT&T contract via iTunes, it's unlikely that anything else much matters. People might eventually figure out how to bypass this, but that's going to be a huge challenge at the very least, since it's very likely that the activation process is encrypted, and of course it's keyed to actually putting a phone number onto the SIM card in the phone.

The only remaining option would be for somebody to buy an iPhone, activate it on an AT&T plan, and then try to transfer it to another carrier from there. Of course, you'd still be indentured to AT&T for your two year contract, so that's not going to be a very practical solution either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mhmm

Anybody rich enough to get the phone and pay roaming to use it in Canada?
I'm not rich but i saved up 2k to get two phones with all accessories and if it's not unlock able , i'll find someway to make money of it , i'll have the only Toronto iPhone Event Meet &Greet for Ten minutes and a photo op for $10 a person.:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
It actually wouldn't be much of a problem if the old Cingular North American plans still existed, where any minute across North America was considered "local", and came out of a pool of minutes. However, it looks like AT&T axed that plan, for whatever reasons.

It also appears that the phone must be activated to use any of its functions, including the iPod.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The following email has been sent out to AT&T customers:

"With iPhone arriving June 29th at 6 p.m. in AT&T retail stores, the wait is almost over. Use our online store locator to find the closest AT&T store that sells Apple iPhone (limit one per person)."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts