Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was uploading a client's site to his web host (Netfirms) and I was having trouble with internal links. Every time I added a new sub-page to the "index.htm" file I received an error message when trying to access it. Each time tech support fixed "aomething" and the pages could be accessed. Finally, I put a link to a downloadable PDF and again, it couldn't be accessed--error message.

The tech support people explained that I must use my control panel to give specific "permission" to the public to view any item, even an obvious link, and that blanket permission was not an option.

Am I being snowed, or is this considered reasonable?

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Each file has permissions. Most FTP programs allow you to modify permissions on files as you upload or apply permissions to a folder and its contents.

By default I would think people should at least be able to "read" these pages. You should make sure your FTP program is setting permissions correctly (or not at all).

Edit: this is uncommon. if setup correctly you should almost never have to deal with correcting permissions on website files.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I had a problem similar to this on my server and figured it was a change to _htaccess. I don't put much on my server so I ignored it and it has since quit happening.

I suspect it was caused by some over-zealous sysadmin wanting to control everything on their server farm. Probably stopped when someone showed up at their gate with a bazooka.

Margaret

G

·
I had a problem a while back with Cyberduck not inheriting the parent folder permissions and setting all the permissions to 000 (no access), this could be something similar. As darkscot says check your "default permissions" setting in your FTP client, but this is not a common problem. If you're using Cyberduck update to the latest as that issue is resolved with them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
here is a very simple way to set permissions without a ftp or web based control panel.

chose your file on your mac, click "get info"

click the triangle "Ownership & Permissions"

then you can change the permissions, works the same as chmod in the ftp programs, or web control panels.

then upload.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.