Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looks like I've finally convinced my neighbours to replace their aged PC with a Mac :)

They really only do basic stuff - lots of WP, some email and a little internet surfing - no music, no multimedia, so I figure that a new eMac would suit them nicely - the pricepoint is right for them too (especially since they will get an educational discount); it comes with a decent SW bundle; it's a G4, so no problems with 10.x ...

I was thinking that maybe a used iMac would be an alternative, but issues there are 1)warranty (I'd hate something bad to happen to cloud their first Mac experience; 2) not many used g4 iMacs around, from what I can see - does OS X run well on a G3 ?

Does anyone out there have experience with the newer eMac models ? I know that 128M ram isn't enough for many OS X users, but is it enough for a basic user, or should they get more ?

Finally, if they buy a new Mac now, what's the time window for getting the Panther update for free - I recall 60 days being mentioned in the past - can anyone confirm that ?

Thanks for any comments.

Mike McHugh

·
Registered
454 Posts
I say they would need more than 128 mb ram, even the most basic user needs atleast 256 mb ram in my opinion.

As far as what system to get, the emac seems like an okay choice, though the 800 mhz iMac is now only 1599 with the lcd screen.
I think Carbon Computing has some left!

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
More RAM, definitely - whether iMac or eMac, home user or business. If you're running OS X (no matter what the machine), 128mb is insufficient and OS X will be a real slug. I'd say 512mb is what you'd need to get along smoothly & comfortably for home use.

As for which machine, it's basically a toss-up. Both are great. The eMac can be considered the price/performance leader while the iMac is a triumph of design & has a small form factor (the eMac is larger & weighs 50 lbs!).

When introduced the eMac apparently was prone to various problems with the display hardware. I don't know if the current (updated) version is as vulnerable as the original version in this regard.

The latest model's specs are certainly attractive though, especially given the price. And every eMac I've seen lately has an absolutely gorgeous display in perfect working condition.

OS X will run just fine on a slot-loading (G3) iMac as long as it has lots of RAM. If you can find a used one in good condition, for a decent price, maybe that would be a good starter for them. Just a thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would go with a new machine if it fits the budget. Nothing makes a better first impression than new gear. Aswell, even if they are not into digital pics or movies, it is always a plus to have the capability if the need arises. You never know when family or friend drops by with a digital camera they would like to print from. Get at least 256MB. I have 256MB in one of my machines and it runs 10.2 well. The rumor mill is that panther might even see an early october release. Two to three weeks from now that new emac might come with panther installed.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Just bought (today) another 15" iMac with 512M RAM. For me it is the sweet spot: looks gorgeous, has a good SW bundle, is quick enough, everything is up to date, it's got BT ands FW and I can't bear the sight of a CRT...

The only weakness is that it doesn't have a DVD burner option, but I figured that within months (weeks), there will be cheap 3rd party ones.

Incidentally, my other 15" is a 867MHz/256Meg and I never had any speed probs.

If you can find a new machine in the distribution pipeline that is heavily discounted because it is only 867MHz, then jump on it!

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Just bought (today) another 15" iMac with 512M RAM. For me it is the sweet spot: looks gorgeous, has a good SW bundle, is quick enough, everything is up to date, it's got Bluetooth and wi-fi and I can't bear the sight of a CRT...

The only weakness is that it doesn't have a DVD burner option, but I figured that within months (weeks), there will be cheap 3rd party ones.

Incidentally, my other 15" is a 867MHz/256Meg and I never had any speed probs.

If you can find a new machine in the distribution pipeline that is heavily discounted because it is only 867MHz, then jump on it!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Go for the eMac. It rocks! Great price, great looks, awesome screen and it is fast!

I may buy another soon...to keep the first one company! :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input from you all.

We went out window shopping tonight and they fell in love with a 1G 17" iMac at Carbonation ! They were blown away by both the design and the clarity of the display ( Adam H was very helpful, BTW).

Mike McHugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.