Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

A shooting at a Quebec City mosque Sunday night has left five people dead and others wounded.

It occurred at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec, the mosque’s president told media. Local reports say the 911 call came in around 7:55 p.m. ET.

“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” said the mosque‘s president, Mohamed Yangui.

Police say two people have been arrested, but have not confirmed the number of dead or wounded. They also say the situation is now under control and RCMP and the Sûreté du Québec are helping with the investigation.

Reports say there were dozens of people inside when the shooting occurred. Police say the occupants have since been evacuated.

* * *​

...a witness told Reuters that up to three gunmen fired on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center.

The Centre, which is located in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood of Quebec City, was also the target of vandalism last summer when a pig’s head was delivered to it during Ramadan.​

(Global News)

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
This is so sad!

5 dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

I have just finished a fairly hard but very cheerful working day (doing PA) in a Belgian Antwerp District (Berchem) where Flemish, Turkish, Moroccan and whatever people contrive to make up a fine neighbourhood.

The band was composed of Flemish residents, one Paraguayan the rest Cubans, who reside in Berchem, Belgium. All residents.

Simply having a new year's drink amongst ourselves.

Nobody is ever prepared for this. Should we be scared, No.
Should we fight this yes!

HOW? I dunno!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Frankly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. We seem to be in an age of reaction and intolerance. While this is sad, expect more to come. I'm not sure how to stop this, not even sure if we can. We are in a period where to protect our freedoms we have to have less, to keep our rights we need to loose some, we are not in a state of peace and the war has started........

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Frankly I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. We seem to be in an age of reaction and intolerance. While this is sad, expect more to come. I'm not sure how to stop this, not even sure if we can. We are in a period where to protect our freedoms we have to have less, to keep our rights we need to loose some, we are not in a state of peace and the war has started........
The inter-religion war began a long time ago and won't end until the human family can finally totally expunge the stupid delusional notions of religion and the various sky-daddy myths ....... my two cents....

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts
Stalin wasn't killing 20 million of his own because of religion. It's a delusion to believe that atheism would solve the problem. Better to look at what we can do now to prevent tragedies such as this.

The inter-religion war began a long time ago and won't end until the human family can finally totally expunge the stupid delusional notions of religion and the various sky-daddy myths ....... my two cents....

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Wow it's been an entire day and Turdeau has not yet introduced new gun control legislation.

Still I think we can safely say: "It's coming very soon to a Parliament near you. It will not be carefully thought out, and there will be zero input from the general public."

Big question is: Was it wing nuts or a crafted attack to justify gun control?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suspects identified as:

Alexandre Bissonnette, originally from Cap Rouge, Québec. Student in Anthropology & Political Science at Laval University.

Heavy.com pulled some info from his Facebook page:
Bissonnette likes the Facebook pages of U.S. President Donald Trump and French far-right leader Marine Le Pen, but he does not express support for them elsewhere on his page. Other likes include the Israel Defense Forces, United With Israel and Parti Québécois of Université Laval.
Bissonnette left the scene of the shooting, later calling 911, saying he wanted to turn himself in. Cops found weapons in his vehicle, and arrested him without incident.

Mohammed El Khadir, of Moroccan descent, not known if he was born in Quebec or abroad. Also a student at Laval.

No photo has been released yet.

Khadir was arrested near the scene of the shooting.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: Quebec police now saying that only one of the two men taken into custody is a "suspect" - the other is considered a 'witness'. They are not identifying either of the men. Given that Bissonnette was earlier identified as the man who called 911 and surrendered to police, it seems likely that he is the suspect in question. (Globe & Mail).

Twitter and other online sources were all excited (yep, that's the word) that an apparent muslim was linked to the shootings. This one is pretty representative:

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Meanwhile, The Rebel, with all the journalistic integrity it's intrepid "reporter" Faith Goldy can muster (i.e., none), suggests it's just mosque-on-mosque violence at play here.

Where's the emoticon for rolling your eyes so much they create a black hole whirlpool effect and your head explodes? C'mon, it's The Rebel. We *really* need that emoticon....

·
Registered
613 Posts
UPDATE: Quebec police now saying that only one of the two men taken into custody is a "suspect" - the other is considered a 'witness'.
That's one of the stupidest statements I've read in a long time ... how can someone be a witness to such an act and not be culpable.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
That's one of the stupidest statements I've read in a long time ... how can someone be a witness to such an act and not be culpable.
By definition; Culpable is being deserving of blame. If you are culpable of a crime, you are the culprit, or the one who did it.

To claim a witness who did not commit the act is culpable falls in the extreme twisted logic category. Such logic is worthy of a monument of jackass skulls as tall as the parliamentary tower.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't understand your reasoning. On the face of it, it appears the police mistakenly arrested a man who fled the mosque following the shooting, believing he was involved.

There were dozens of people there who were witnesses and were not culpable.

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
It has been rumbling around that at least two of the victims tried to stop the attacks....culpable?........

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw that, Rps... one fellow who tried to tackle the gunman was shot square in the face :(

Latest detail to emerge: Bissonnette was a "nice, quiet kid" who frequently visited his parents in Cap Rouge. He also has a twin brother.... wonder if *that's* going to play a role if there's ever a criminal trial. The fact that he called 911 and turned himself in, expressing feelings of remorse for his actions... perhaps an indication that he'll plead guilty to whatever charges he faces...

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Sadly, that is all too true Rps. But just to add the war started a long time ago now, in our country mostly underground and the occasional lunatic.

But now it seems we have anti-Muslim lunatics carrying out mass murder as well. Previously it was a war of words and now it is real life and death on both sides.

Hopefully this is just another anomaly in this country and not the start of something bigger and more widespread.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts