Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am in the process of buying new tires for my car and have been looking at All Weather as an alternative to summer and snows. I don’t have storage for an extra set, plus the hassle of the transport and install. I have narrowed it down to two brands, the Hankook Optimo 4s and the Nokian WR G3. I have read that both are good and that the Hankook is allowed in Quebec for winter driving

I am leaning toward the Nokian as they seem to have better CR ratings, but not so sure if they are allowed in Quebec. Any thoughts on which to buy and, do you know if the Nokian’s are allowed for winter driving in Quebec. Thanks. rp

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Last I checked All Weather showed about a 15% traction improvement over all season. I think Winter tires were about 35% better.

Check to be sure the tire has a Mud & snow symbol on it, if meeting legal requirement is your only objective.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last I checked All Weather showed about a 15% traction improvement over all season. I think Winter tires were about 35% better.

Check to be sure the tire has a Mud & snow symbol on it, if meeting legal requirement is your only objective.
Both seem to have the Mountain and Snowflake symbol on them, not sure I’ve seen a M and S symbol.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Probably doesn't help much but here goes.

We've been looking for new rubber for my lovely bride's minivan. Was also considering all-weather as opposed to all-season.

Looked at Hankook's H727 but were all-season. They have a mileage rating of 700 which, as I understand it, doesn't really translate into miles but is apparently a decent rating.

One of the few all-weather tires we could find locally is Nankang's SV-2. Unfortunately, they have a mileage rating of 520 so we may actually go for a set of ground grips up front & some all-seasons out back for now. Come spring we'd just get another pair of all-seasons for the front.

The minivan has a somewhat uncommon tire size & we're struggling to find good rubber at a decent price. The Nankang's were $825 + tax.

Have Hankook DynaPro ATM's on the 'Burb. Expecting 100K km out of them. Good grip in snow, decent on ice, good life. Bought those because a friend who spent 20+ years in the tire business recommended Hankook's as good value.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man it’s tough trying to get good information on this. Canadian Tire has the Hankook’s on sale this week, which helps. Also I have read from a number of sites people who love their Hankook tires, so it your reply does help. Thanks, rp

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had all season on my Golf in Toronto and replaced them with winter last year. Definitely suggest winter if you are doing Quebec. I have been to Victoriaville many times on business and they use studs there. All rentals have winter tires minimum out of Montreal.

All season are OK on paved / plowed roadways but in deeper snow - winter is needed IMO. Why not look at a used set on rims - that's where my snows came from. Hankook are very good - thats what my snows are.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Both seem to have the Mountain and Snowflake symbol on them, not sure I’ve seen a M and S symbol.
The mountain and snowflake symbol satisfies the BC winter mountain driving requirements, suspect but can't confirm Quebec requirements are the same.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had the WR G2 and now have the WR G3 on my CX7. Love those G3 tires. Don't buy the earlier versions of this tire - the shoulders wear too quickly.

The G3 is very good in the snow and ice and had no problems during last winter's very heavy snowfall events (12 inches plus) in the lower mainland.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I am left to wonder why when you live in Windsor, ON. you would have any concern about Quebec tire requirements? Even if you visited the province once during the winter I doubt as a non resident that any requirements would be mandatory of you as a visitor.

·
Registered
853 Posts
So the only laws that matter are were the car is licensed. So if your car is plated in Ontario then you can drive with 4 season tires wherever you want. So Quebec laws have no effect on you.

If you are are driving a Quebec plated car then you need winter tires. If pulled over in the winter in another province by the police they could actually still ticket you for not have it winter tires on your car. This is actually possible, haven’t heard of any cases of it occurring but it is possible.

Same goes for northern Ontario drivers who are allowed studded winter tires. They can drive into southern Ontario with their illegal studded tires with no worries as they are legal where the car is plated.

So get whatever tires you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am left to wonder why when you live in Windsor, ON. you would have any concern about Quebec tire requirements? Even if you visited the province once during the winter I doubt as a non resident that any requirements would be mandatory of you as a visitor.
Sinc, I still ne d to contend with winter weather and do not have the space or will for two sets. I am finding All Seasons not as good when we drive in snow country.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Yes I understand that, but you are in no way bound by Quebec law. I run all season on all my vehicles and have never used winter rated tires. It gets a lot colder here than in the east and I have never been unable to navigate in heavy snow.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I understand that, but you are in no way bound by Quebec law. I run all season on all my vehicles and have never used winter rated tires. It gets a lot colder here than in the east and I have never been unable to navigate in heavy snow.
Sinc, if I may, what tires are you using? I’m wondering do you think the fact that your winters are so much colder than ours are a factor with your use of all seasons?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Sinc, if I may, what tires are you using? I’m wondering do you think the fact that your winters are so much colder than ours are a factor with your use of all seasons?
Well, the warmer the temps, the better the tire grips so if a tire works here, it ought to work better there would be my theory.

I use this tire on my Suzuki.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx Sinc, someone also mentioned Goodyear’s Triple Tread as well, will look into these as they are on sale as well here.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Biggest issue running winter tires in the hot months is reduced tread life. Depending on your dealer, swapping winters and summers can cost $150-200/year if you do not have a second set of rims, so I doubt that running winters year round would increase overall cost.

Other problem is stopping. Without ABS I notice that in a panic stop on warm pavement, the rear wheels will lock if I am still running winters. If you know how to pump brakes or have ABS this may not be a serious issue. Depends mainly on what speed you like to maintain on the highway. About 100KPH you're probably OK. Like to drive 120, probably a very bad idea.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
eMacMan, I noticed that when I had my 300C, The hemi had some umph for sure and braking with the Winter set in warm weather took a toll. We can get warm here quite quickly in what would be normally winter months. So that is an issue with winters and All Weather Tires. Rotation every 6000kms should help with tread wear, along with alignments. Pricing out the Hankook’s and Nokian and Goodyear Triple Tread next week.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sinc, I still ne d to contend with winter weather and do not have the space or will for two sets. I am finding All Seasons not as good when we drive in snow country.

Before I needed winter tires when Quebec had no law I was happy running 4 season tires throughout the year. I think if people drive according to the conditions 4 season tires are adequate. Just slow down and take your time is a good solution.

People are starting to put too much trust in winter tires and just drive the same year round.

So if you have limited space/storage why not stick to 4 seasons and just slow down in the winter months?

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Before I needed winter tires when Quebec had no law I was happy running 4 season tires throughout the year. I think if people drive according to the conditions 4 season tires are adequate. Just slow down and take your time is a good solution.

People are starting to put too much trust in winter tires and just drive the same year round.

So if you have limited space/storage why not stick to 4 seasons and just slow down in the winter months?

Did an interesting experiment a couple of years ago. Was driving the minivan at about 30KPH with ABS and all seasons over a short stretch of level glare ice. Applied the brakes as recommended. Could feel various wheels lock and unlock but speed did not diminish at all. Thankfully the road had been sanded as I approached an intersection. A second run established that rapid pumping and putting it in neutral would override the ABS and allow me to slow down reasonably safely, but even then stopping distance was scary given the slow speed.

Tried the same thing with the sedan, good winter tires and no ABS. Was able to bring it to a complete stop without locking the wheels in a distance perhaps 20 feet longer than a panic summer stop.

As mentioned; If it's icy slow down, regardless the tires.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EMacMan I think you will find good winter tires will win out every time...but they can be tricky on wet as they are not designed for wet/dry. It really depends where you live I guess. When I was first married I lived in Markham, all seasons worked well there. Later transferred to Renfrew and Ottawa, all seasons not so much. In Windsor all seasons should be fine but I often drive into snow country. I had a great set of snows on my prior vehicle but they won’t fit my new car, as well as I now have no place to store them. I’m down to Nokian and the Goodyear Triple Tred as CT tells me they do not carry the Hankook Optimo 4s....even though they are supposed to be exclusive to them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts