Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I tried it on a re-flashed 64MB PC Radeon 7000. It seemed to work (although I saw very little speed improvement), but it had many artifacts in several programs like iMovie and DVD Player.

I've now changed over to a re-flashed 32MB PC Radeon 7000, but haven't tried it again. Perhaps I will to see if the artifacting is reduced with the new card...

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I tried it again with the re-flashed 32MB Radeon 7000 and I still get terrible artifacting in iMovie. Since it is one of my main app's, I just had to turn it off...

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Quartz extreme is not supported with that card. QE require AGP to run:

Requirements:
Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.

Sorry

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
That is marketing crap, it works just fine.
I have been using it since October.

Unless you have half a dozen Firewire hard drives or something else sucking up PCI bandwidth you won't have any problems with QE on a PCI Radeon.

The artifacting in iMovie is probably caused by the VRAM being overclocked by the Mac firmware on the flashed card.

Some OEM Radeons have very slow memory compared to the retail ATI Radeons, try to crank down the memory clock.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Yes, QE is supported on the Radeon 7000, with the hack installed.

As for the artifacting in iMovie, if there seemed to be some benefits from running PCI Extreme, I'd probably mess around with it. But all the testing that I did, along with the seat o' the pants method didn't seem to make enough (if any) difference to the cards performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.