Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Sorry to say this, but, its said that for a while now. I often go to "tech support" then "forums" and click on Q5 and mac os. Reading some of the posts realy makes me chuckle. But, no one there has yet heard/said a date for the OSX release. :mad: :rolleyes:
Robert

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert, I agree. It's said that for about a year. Do I believe what it says? Nope. When I read between the lines, this is how I interpret the statement.

Quark released such bug laden versions of the previous two major releases, they couldn't afford to release a third version of the software with those kinds of problems again for fear of industry backlash. Secondly, it would give Quark the opportunity to gouge customers for a software "upgrade" that really only carbonizes the current version, which should have been released that way to begin, and while fixing some bugs, introduces a host of new ones to be blamed on Apple's OS, requiring a subsequent upgrade of Quark.

That's just my interpretation. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Shall we start taking bets as to how much longer that same message will remain? ;)

I say 5 months minimum.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe we ought to start a pool. Everybody kick in 5 bucks and pick a date on the calendar. Who ever picks the right day gets the money from the pool to pay for their copy of InDesign.

Thanks for the InDesign demo yesterday Alec. Looks like the switch to ID shouldn't be as daunting as I thought and it's good to see most of the concerns I had with the earlier versions have been fixed.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
re: Quark position on OS X native version.

We used to have an acronym that decribes Quark's position on the OS X version; "RSN" - real soon now

transaltion - don't hold your breath

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
macspectrum wrote:
We used to have an acronym that decribes Quark's position on the OS X version; "RSN" - real soon now

I prefer the term "vapourware" :D

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hey coyote, I'm in. The NY/Boston Macworld expo is out. As well as the week prior. I think July 25th 2003 (4) :D for the page to change.
As for your translation of the article, I think it is bang on. Quark can't afford another fiasco like Q5 now that Indesign is showing real promise.
Robert

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coyote:
There's a good article on Mac Design comparing Quark's current path to that of Aldus Pagemaker.
http://www.macdesignonline.com/issues/janfeb03/mac_lane.html
<HR></blockquote>

That's got to tbe the best-written article on how I feel about the whole thing!

I'm not a writer but he nails it perfectly on the head with his take on it. I've been telling my customers for 3 years now that this was going to happen. Quark was going to sit on their ass while Mac OS X was adopted. Adobe was going to keep working on InDesign and eventually their "foot in the door" was going to be Mac OS X. They didn't have much success with 1.0 and 1.5 but 2.0 is a different story altogether. version 3 due arond the same time as the supposed Quark 6 will put Quark to pasture for good.

Quark wasted their time on version 5 adding web features (come on, who uses a page layout program to author websites? Most design it all in Photoshop, cut it up and code in Golive and Dreamweaver) when they should have been coding for Carbon.

ahh, that feels better. Anyhow those who complain about service providers not outputting InDesign files should go and look for someone else to help them out. Those providers are in denial just like the Quark folks are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts