Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hey coyote,
did you get your $25 off coupon from Quark?
Man, I laughed when I openned that card up.
After version 5, they sure have big canastas to just offer 25 off.
Let us know how it runs. I'll also keep am eye on their forum page. (also good for a laugh)
Robert

·
Registered
256 Posts
Robert, they gave me a $25 discount plus another $10 off for a whopping total of $35 of discount. Strangely enough, shipping pretty well undid the discounts.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Yeah, thats what I thought. I'm going to wait a few months and see the fall-out. I'll probably pick up version 6.1 or 6.11 (just like 4.11 was the most stable of the lot)
When was the eta on your upgrade?
I heard they were starting to ship August 1.
We expect a detailed review that is both informative and well laid out. :D
Robert

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I ordered, the day after it's release, Quark told me it would be 3-4 weeks before shipping due to the overwhelming demand, but could ship sooner depending how high I was up the food chain. I guess if you're an important and influencial customer you get you copy shipped sooner.

From what I've heard, version 6 is pretty much a direct port of version 5 to OS X with only minor functional updates.

·
Banned
110 Posts
From the reviews I've read, Xpress 6 is slow and is a dog working with PDFs. Some of the blame is put on Adobe, which won't allow Quark its proprietary software because of InDesign. But Quark, these unhappy users and reviewers say, has reloaded its gun and continues to shoot itself in the foot.

According to angry users writing on the web, it will not save documents in version 4, only in the notoriously bad version 5 (which should have been written for System X), forcing some users to buy version 5 only so they can save in version 4. These people proclaim that Quark is doing that to unload boxcars full of unsold 5, a turkey if ever there was one, they claim, and in revenge.

Quark's poor customer-friendly reputation has only been enhanced by its refusal to update Xpress for System X, only making it available (well, not quite yet at the retail level) fully two years after X).

In my opinion, Quark should change its name to Hubris — or Studebaker.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
It's as good as any other _.0 quark release, garbage.

But if OS X is really important to you, you can make do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Make do? Slow as a dog? Garbage? What the heck?

Those sound like comments coming from some sort of Microsoft user using Windows. Doh! Those are comments from a Quark Xpress 6 user. So now what the heck is wrong with Quark? Where are ALL the people who appraised Quark for porting QXP6 over to OS X? The boards on the net are flooded with negative comments on this new release. Was this a surprise for me? hehe heck no, saw this comming when QXP6 was introduced.

Quark users and Windows users comparison :D

1) They both consume 95% of the market
2) They both complain about the software that is released
3) They both complain about the lack of customer support
4) They both complain that it costs too much
5) They both know that another company exists, but because 95% use their software it isn't possible to look at the other company. Plus both know that the other software well...just works......

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

[ July 01, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Urban_Legend ]

·
Banned
110 Posts
I went out this afternoon to buy InDesign 2. The store had it in stock, along with Photoshop Remnants . . . er . . . Elements, and I was about to buy them both, along with a book written for Xpress users moving to InDesign.

The guy behind the counter told me that the store has ordered a package called Adobe Design something or other that includes InDesign, Photoshop's entire enchilada, Illustrator and ATM for $1,600 or so. I decided to wait until it arrived this week. It would cost only a couple or three hundred more than what I was about to pay for InDesign and the stripped-down Photoshop.

On the way home, though, I wondered whether Adobe has the suite rigged so the apps won't run independently, thereby making updates all or nothing, along with their costs. I'll have to scour Adobe's site, though if that's the case, I doubt they'd say so.

I know nothing of Illustrator. I couldn't draw a squiggly line without tracing it. Is Illustrator's status any higher than Pagemaker's?

Does anyone have this suite? How does it stack up?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
The Adobe Design Collection includes full versions of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator AND Acrobat Professional. All apps will run independently of one another. This is one heck of a bundle!

Details here.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well this is a refreshing change from the virilant antiQuark hatred expressed on Adobes Forums...

Has anyone acutally tried QX6 yet or are you bashing it in advance like so many other just so you think you can say " I told You so..."

Despite what you will read on forums populated by early adoptors... Indesign is not actually in wide spread usage {at least in the GTA anyway...

Qx6 has an uphill battle for acceptance, not because of Indesign but because the industry doesnot {YET} see the need to leave QX4.11...

Wishing it were different won't make that so...

Everything I've heard so far has been positive though Lacking in whiz bang effects, {like Gradient mesh or Transparencies.... wow... }

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, I have this suite. It is, to my mind, superb.

I really wasn't sure about Illustrator before I got to grips with it, but must say it is brilliant. I do much of my design work on it.

Certainly (with the occasional exception of Macromedia Freehand MX) between Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat and InDesign Adobe have all the bases covered. it wasn't super-easy to change over from Quark, but I'm really pleased I did.

I like Quark, despite it's limitations. Having said that, the Adobe programmes are just so much better .

- smw

·
Registered
383 Posts
We are still waiting for our copies of XPress 6. At the time I place my order, they said that it would go out the following week. That was Friday, June 13. Oh yea it was Friday the 13th, that explains everything.

Seriously, I do not know of anyone in Canada who has their copy of XPress 6 yet. Actually, Quark's home page says "Now shipping in the U.S." no mention of international orders so who knows.

I have a suspicion that very few copies have shipped, because outside of a couple of reports (not too favourable), there is next to no reaction by users - good or bad. I expect nearly everyone is still playing the waiting game, either waiting for their copies, or waiting to see if it actually works.

B

[ July 01, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Bilbo ]

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am waiting {like many others} because 6.0 will have bug... that is a given... someone else can fight with them and Quark will issue patches {Just like Adobe and everyone else does}...

Quark has never been the greatest at customer service and their delivery infrastructure is arcaic... Plus there is no race to be the first with it, since service bureaus will need a little time to work out or around this new version...

I'll wait until Quark starts giving reasonable incentives to buy... Right now they are trying to make as much as they can from early adoptors.. More power to them... Haste makes Waste.... Let some one else waste for a month or two...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am sure there will be a few bugs. I just hope that it's reasonably stable. I hate running XPress in the classic environment.

B

1 - 16 of 16 Posts