Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out Apple.com!

doesn't really matter to me, but i know it does matter to alot of people.

p.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I just noticed myself
I would still think it will be months before people upgrade due to possible hardware upgrades as well as all the other new software they might need to update-if it's available.
Still, a good sign for the future
This could be a bright summer with 10.3, Quark 6, and new generation CPUs

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I have been using Quark 6 pre release now for almost 2 months and it works great, cant wait to get the full version

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
It makes me think if this "announcement" is a sort of retaliation to Adobe's recent partnership with Intel (and their several articles about how much faster it is to work on a pentium PC than a Mac).

Has anyone seen the "astroturf" article Adobe and Intel posted in DV magazine? It's an advertisement that looks like an article -- a little dirty if you ask me. They feature a VFX company called "The Orphanage" which gushes about how "great" using AfterEffects is on a Pentium PC.

Adobe has been getting more and more obvious with their displeasure with Apple lately that they're starting to exlucde Macs on a lot of their new software.

Or, I could be paranoid.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anybody know what upgrade pricing from version 5.0 will cost? I took a look on the Quark site, but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
645 Posts
So the BIG question is how many of you use InDesign 2.0 and love it? And how many of you have waited over a year for QXpress and will either upgrade or buy the full version?

Any switchers from Quark to Adobe and are happy?

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
coyote: QuarkXPress 6 ships next week for a list price of US$1,045. Users of QuarkXPress 5 can upgrade for $199; the upgrade price for users of QuarkXPress 4 and 3 is $299 and $499 respectively. QuarkXPress 6 will require Mac OS X 10.2, "Jaguar," or later.

We use InDesign for all our stuff and would never go back to Quark. I've used the version 6 beta and it was nothing to write home about. Quark wasted their time bringing this over, Adobe has the upped hand now. Just wait until you see InDesign 3.0... :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
We're on InDesign and loving it. I have no plains on getting Quark 6 anytime soon. The PDF support with InDesign is slick.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts

Don't hold your breath.

Quark sux!

InDesign is the Future.

By the way I have a NEW in shrink wrapped box of InDesign 2.0 for sale, any takers before I list it in the Trading Post.

Cheeper and better than Quark ;)

[ June 10, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Heart ]

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got InDesign 2.0 and I've been happy with the jobs I've completed with it, but I still require Quark for the majority of my clients and I'm sick of running it through "Classic". I'm sure QXP 6.0 will be buggy and nothing special, but that's no different from QXP 5.0.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
mannyp said:
Adobe has been getting more and more obvious with their displeasure with Apple lately that they're starting to [exclude] Macs on a lot of their new software.

Which software? The only one I know if recently is Photoshop Album, and that is because it does exactly the same thing that iPhoto does except be free of charge.

--PB

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not being in the print press myself, why would anyone wait over a year to get a product that works in OS X? When Adobe had a product for OS X? What I don't get is, with all these clients crying we only use Xpress, it is too bad the rest of the industry didn't take a stand and said screw Quark, we aren't waiting around let's adopt InDesign. Are the print press companies really that weak not to stand up for technology that MOVES ahead? How many years will it be for Quark to upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0? 3-4 years? Adobe will be coming out with InDesign 3.0 with things in it that will be ahead of Xpress 6.0, then where will the Print Press companies stand? Still holding back and not wanting to move ahead because of one company?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Urban_Legend: I think a lot of your questions regarding Quark and the print industry can be answered through various discussions previously on this board.

Some of the highlights are the integration into already existing workflows, cost of purchasing new software and hardware (Quark will function acceptibly on older hardware), cost of training, down time, lost productivity, integration with 3rd party extension, and predictability of results with proven software when meeting tight deadlines on limited budgets.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've used XPress for about 13 years. I have always found their lack of innovation frustrating. Their customer service is frustrating. Their over inflated upgrade costs for bug-ridden half baked releases is frustrating. The ONLY reason XPress is "so good" (and I use that term loosely) is because of all of the 3rd party extensions that have helped fill in the holes that have existed for years. Why in the heck did we have to wait for XPress 5 for LAYERS for heavensake? MULTIPLE UNDOs - FINALLY! This stuff should have been in years ago!! Great gravy I think Quark must think it's 1992. - HELLO?

The price that Quark wants for a program that does not come even remotely close to InDesign is laughable. On top of their price you STILL need extensions!! Quarks "latest" is still lightyears behind.

As far as I'm concerned XPress is a good output program. It's pretty fast, it's a lightweight so you can run it on dusty old Macs if you want to. It doesn't gobble much RAM. So if you still want to use your Mac IIcx, and 44mb syquest drive then XPress is the program for you. That's about the only nice things that I can think of to say about the program.

Now if you want a program that is a joy to use from a creative standpoint, that sets great type, that has a feature rich, modern toolset, then you need InDesign. Yes it may be a tad slower that XPress, but it that's to be expected it's doing soooo much more.

InDesign is still a young program and admittedly it has a few pimples. XPress on the other hand, has been around forever and has plenty of pimples, boils and scabs!

Ranting aside, I HOPE XPress 6 is decent. We still see XPress files everyday, so like it or not, I am going to have to use it. All new work that we do however is being done in InDesign.

Quark may get some of my employer's cash, but they won't get mine. I retired my personal copy of XPress at version 4 and instead have 2 copies of InDesign.

B

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Why designer / prepress shops / print shops don't swtich to InDesign?

ANSWER:

X workstations times cost of InDesign 2.0
+
Y employees times cost of training/getting up to speed with InDesign 2.0

vs.

X workstations times cost of QuarkXpress upgrade

if you have a medium to large shop, the price difference could be in the thousands.

It boils down to dollars and cents.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's funny, I work at a mid size commercial printer with two web presses and one sheetfed. We have a nearly 4 year old Scitex Brisque RIP, a three year old plate-setter, a 6 year old laser printer. We use InDesign on Macs that are 2 1/2 years old and they don't have gobs of RAM.

InDesign 2 works just fine. The claim that that the only people that use it are just a few designers simply does not hold water. If you know XPress, Illustrator and Photoshop and have half a brain, then InDesign is a breeze to learn. InDesign is cheaper, requires fewer to no 3rd party extensions to get your work done and has a great tool set.

InDesign 1.X was a dog. InDesign 2 is the real deal.

$944.00 US?? Are they joking? I can get the entire Adobe Design collection for less that that and get Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, Illustrator AND InDesign.

$944.00 US. Yup, that's quite a bargain.

B

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
You must have a VERY good source for software. Lucky you !!

$944 US x 1.4 = $1,321 Cdn

MacWarehouse has the Design Collection for $1,699 Cdn.

InDesign 2.0 for $1,129 Cdn

Adobe could make some very strong inroads with their Design Collection being at a good price point.

·
Registered
383 Posts
;) I forgot, our dollar is better these days. Factor in a few 3rd party extensions to plug the leaks and it is easily costs more than the Design Collection. It seems to me that the last time I checked, (at least a year ago or more) that the cost of a full version of XPress and the Adobe Design Collection was very close. Bear in mind you get four great Adobe applications (3 of which are presently industry standards) to Quark's one.

In any case I'd even gladly spend a few hundred more and get the Design Collection. We could talk upgrade prices if you want. Quark is notorious for raping your wallet and then expect you to BUY your printed documentation! I upgraded two copies of InDesign for about the same money that my boss paid for ONE XPress 5 upgrade.

I really don't want to get into a pi$$ing match over this, my point is this, InDesign works and it works well. I know this because I use it daily. It is fabulous for creative design and it works fine for output. I also use XPress daily, but just for output.

If all you do is output files, and you don't feel like learning anything new then I can understand you wanting to stay in XPress's comfort zone. That said.. It takes VERY little time to learn how to output files from InDesign. It will take a little more effort to learn how to fix bad files. (we all see those on nearly a daily basis) The difference here most of us have had lots of experience with XPress. We are used to XPress's pimples and know how to work around them. InDesign is still pretty new.

One thing I will say is that InDesign is a very powerful program. With that power comes the ability to get yourself into trouble if you are not careful. This is no different than say... Photoshop. You need to know what you are doing to get the results that you expect.

B

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
bilbo,
i hope you didn't think my posts were a pi$$ing contest.

i was only trying to compare as it is important info. for me to pass along to my clients

One thing I will say is that InDesign is a very powerful program. With that power comes the ability to get yourself into trouble if you are not careful.
i agree with that statement wholeheartedly.

we see the problems that occur between "design" and "production" everyday

i've seen designers import 72 dpi PDF files and then wonder why the printer has to charge them to re-arrange the file....

like you said; "with that power comes the ability to get yourself into trouble..."

1 - 20 of 58 Posts