Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, is Quark ever digging there own grave with customer support and their products. We had a problem today with our Dual 1ghz G4. Wasnt happy about the problem, but we didnt lose anyfiles or programs, just a simple archive install of OSX. So all settings and files were fine. Had to update to 10.2.6 so photoshop CS would work, but no big deal everything was fine. Illustrator was fine, All suitcase needed was the serial number again, but not Quark :mad: . I had to reinstall, then I continually received an error message that the activation plugin (or whatever it is) was corrupt. So I am hunting around there website and the net for a while trying to figure this out. Finally I find what I am looking for and great, now I can register. Unfortunatly I cannot do it over the net because of the firewall so I have to pay the long distance call out west for a activation code. First I have to listen to an automated message, then I finally find where I need to go, and wham, 35 min later I finally get someone on the phone to help me. He tells me I need to email Quark for my reactivation code, I would not let the fly so he reluctantly descided to help me. After reading over the validation number to him, which is about 30 characters long, he says ok and puts me on hold for about 20 min, then comes back with a activation number about 30 characters long. Thankfully it worked the first time I used it. But boy what a nightmare dealing with Quark. Even ordering the Quark 6 upgrade compared with the Photoshop CS upgrade. Quark you get a CD, thats it, no manuals, no nothing, those all cost extra. From Adobe you get a nice box, a big fully colour manual plus the cd. I just pray the indesign quickly takes the place of Quark and we can all forget the massive hassles Quark creates.

so for the rant, but I had to vent

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to be able to switch to indesign from what I hear about the program. But unfortunatly we have been using Quark for a very long time and most of our files are in Quark. Alot of our work is repeat customers. I am going to be pushing for all new work to be done in indesign thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
quark is quite lame.

the funny thing about quark is that nobody ever rushes to its defence. i think that says a lot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
First off - using quark is second nature to those of us who have been using it for a loooong time. (14 years now for me) Quark counts on that. When indesign first came out I was one of the many who said- 'HA, me switch? Never' Those days are changing, and Adobe has had the smarts and patience to wait this out. Me - a Quark diehard will be switching over this year as well.

(boy that felt good to get that off my chest)

Cheers,
Tyrone
;)

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Rushing to defend someone's software choice is a lot like trying to tell a Win user why someone would uses a Mac. It's pointless and in the end it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Maybe I'll post this thread on the Quark message boards...

Not that it would do any good, they're arrogance will ultimately be their undoing I believe...

Heck, maybe Apple could purchase Xpress and make it a part of the iLife bundle!!

:D

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I've been telling people for 4 years now that Quark is as old as a dinosaur and that Adobe would would stick it out with InDesign and some would eventually see the light.

I just had a customer call me today with a Quark file that was not outputting an EPS properly and I told him to opent he file in ID then output it there. Called me back and said it was like majic. He's moving to InDesign right away.

Sometimes all it takes is something simple to get people to try it and see what it like to use a MODERN page layout program.

For those interested, please email me privately, we re putting on a Quark to InDesign migration seminar at the end of February. The goal is to show how easy it is to migrate and not to panic and much nicer life will be with ID.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts